Relaint T-40 low heat sensor switch goes out EVERY year!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kykel said:
This explains why my first blower went after only 3 years. it started squealing and I started to oil every other day until it seized. I just dont remember that heat blowing out of that hole before. This problem with the convection blower overheating only started a few weeks ago. anyway what is the snorkel. Did your stove come with it and how old is your stove I thought I saw on a post something that resembled an extention that moved the blower away from the heat a few inches.Im not sure if it was a saranac though. I cut a piece of sheet metal today to cover the hole . hope this works.

Thanks again for your response

Jeff

I bought the stove in 2008 the snorkel was an addition specifically made to move the convection blower to a different location inside the stove shell. My stove didn't come with it.

It bolts to the heat exchanger where the convection blower use to and the convection blower bolts to the snorkel. The blower is now lower and further back in the stove shell.

And yes that picture you remember was from a Saranac

There is a gasket close to that area and gaskets need occasional replacement.

I'll take a really good look at that entire area when I shut the stove down later today to give it a pre storm cleaning as I will likely be too busy to do it on my normal stove cleaning day, likely will spend a bit of time that day snow blowing.

Hi smokey

Well, I cut a piece of sheet metal and covered the hole in the stove. No help. The motor is getting to hot. Shot the blower motor with a digital lazer temp.had 225 degrees.(Too hot to touch) any ideas why its so hot? Im going to clean the chimney but I dont think thats the problem. Im probably going to have to break down and have a dealer come and look. Still waiting for hudson river to get back to me.

kykel said:
Hi smokey

Well, I cut a piece of sheet metal and covered the hole in the stove. No help. The motor is getting to hot. Shot the blower motor with a digital lazer temp.had 225 degrees.(Too hot to touch) any ideas why its so hot? Im going to clean the chimney but I dont think thats the problem. Im probably going to have to break down and have a dealer come and look. Still waiting for hudson river to get back to me.

It is hot because of friction and being in a hot environment (it is after all fastened to the heat exchanger). But 225 isn't all that hot for some motors.

The bearings are likely shot by now if it is still thermaling off, it doesn't take much if they run out of lubricant.

I don't know if you could work enough lubricant into the bearings or not, it is something you can try.

How close to the fire box is your blower? Inside that stove shell gets really warm.

I don't know at what temperature that particular motor will shut down or stall, somewhere on the motor plate there is enough information for the manufacturer to identify the specific characteristics of that motor. They are the only folks that can actually answer any of the questions about the motor. You are likely not going to find it in the online catalog the manufacturer (FASCO) maintains on line as it is a "special" OEM motor.

Do you have the snorkel on your stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.