Relationship between feed rate and fan speed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChesterDogs

Dec 28, 2011
Chesterland, OH
As a relatively new pellet insert owner, I am trying to get the fine tuning down on my Quad Sante Fe insert. Could somebody describe to me the relationship between feed rate and fan speed? I know how to adjust both, and according to my manual, when the fan speed is on high, the flames should reach out of the fire pot by about 4 inches (and if it is lower, I increase the feed rate, and if too high, lower the feed rate). Once I have that dialed in, do I leave the feed rate adjustment alone? Is there a relationship between the two like there is with the clutch and gas pedal on a car (more gas, less clutch). If I am running the stove primarily on low, should I adjust the feed rate to achieve a certain flame height? Can anybody help clarify and help me conceptualize how the two interact, and how to fine tune the stove? I hope I am not being too vague. Thanks so much, and I appreciate any help you could give.

There is a relationship between them. If you're burning on a lower feed rate, you'll be producing less heat...thus you should have to turn your blower fan down accordingly or it will only cool the air temp in your exchange tubes. In return...higher feed = more heat, would allow to blow more air and distribute said heat at a higher rate.

There is no set rules, however. You will have to play with your appliance and see what is most efficient for your space in different types of weather, etc.

I suggest a means of measuring air temp at the heat exchange tubes and start some sort of log.

Thanks for your reply. I understand that lower fan speed = less heat, and the reverse for higher fan speed (= more heat). I was wondering if I should be adjusting the feed rate as I adjust the fan speed.

If yu are still going to burn on High. Then I would set your fkame height to the recommended 4" flame. But if you want Max heat on Low or Med, I would leave it wide open. Run the Quad on Low all the time. I leave the feed plate wide open.

Pellet quality will play a large part also. Some pellets wont attain a 4" height, even with plate all the way up.

Max BTU's on lower settings. Open it up.

Sounds good, I just opened it up. This Tuesday is supposed to be pretty cold, it will be interesting to see how well the Quad heats the whole house. Haven't had to use the gas-fired boiler yet this year. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.