Relearning how to burn same stove VC nc Encore long rant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBurner

Aug 4, 2008
SE CT
Some may remember we installed a VC nc Encore in September, we fastly learned how to acheive everburn up to 6 hours burns (wanted longer) also learned all the air settings to keep it humming along. We did have one of those nuclear everburns , temp got uo to 745 on the griddle but I threw in a pc of green wood and got it back in control. But that really bothered me, (the high temp). Decided to do dollar bill test, I could pull out dollar with some resistance but thought it should have more resistance.
We had stove company at the time of purchase come and do the install to our new chimney, they charged 900.00 and were in and out in an hour, but I wanted to be sure they would stand behind stove and install, anf warantee. while they were here I asked them to check the gaskets and they laughed and said it is new don't worry. then I asked why the ash pan door handle was at 8 oclock instead of straight down as in manual picture, they told me it was fine.
The other day I decided to adjust the door and ash pan adjustments for the closing mech. I discovered the ash pan door was never fastning right , it just barely caught on edge, because it was never adjusted right, I adjusted and found now the ash door handle pointed starighjt down as in manual.
Fired up the stove and first thing I noticed was it was a lot harder to get fire started, when burning good I found I had much more control of air control and could esily control the heat.
still trying to get everburn refiqured out, seems I can no longer just slam air off and be all set in everburn.
I will probable call dealer and rant but am waiting a bit.

My opinion is I should weld the ash pan closed as I believe 80 % of the problem with these stoves is the ash pan.

Thanks for listening to my rant, boy am I po'ed

stove.jpg

I hear you CT. What bozos. The guys that installed our F400 had virtually no experience with burning in wood stoves. They were just doing their jobs and not so great at that.

Give the company owner a call and tell them your tale. I doubt it will do a lot of good, but you never know.

PS: Your installation looks great. Nice hearth!

Great looking hearth you have there... Did you do it yourself?

Ray

I'm suspicious, nice little fire going, yet, no wood stacked anywhere, no bark and wood chips layin' all over the hearth, no ash piled up anywhere on same hearth, no nothin' on the floor layin around, no cat's sleepin, no dogs snorin', wzzzzup wif dat?

Thanks all, we had a mason build our hearth,

We got a solid 7 1/2 hour burn last night, after 7 1/2 hours stove was about 325 and had enough hot coals to get kindling going quickly.While mason built hearth we designed it and mason worked with us really well. Understood what we wanted. No mess? No dogs or cats? Raised three girls and a boy in little house. Had dogs and cats and horses. Kids moved out, all moved back in once,all moved out again for last time. Daughter took family dog with her other daughter left cat with us when she moved to other coast. No more dog,two horses in barn, Cat that was a shut in having great time catching mice trying to get in wood pile in barn. Have a wood box in kitchen for kindling. We bring in wood and stack at back of hearth but vacuum is always out and clean up every day. Life is good. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Check the upper right (near hinge) of the right side door. I had to double up some gasket material to fill the gap. Check your collar fit at the stove for gaps. The ash door was also a problem that I adjusted with no help from the dealer.

I have a cat version but like you had to figure it all out without the help from my dealer (egotistical left over hippy)
After many overfires I started to research thanks to this site. I have consistent 10 to 12 hour burns and a stove that I trust 100%. It is so much easier to use and heats much better than the original install the dealer said was normal.

Look familiar? We are doing a remodel in the room and plan on changing the color of the brick or possible stone veneer to cover the nasty!

Attachments

• DSC00607 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00607 (Medium).JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 211
Very nice setup I like the bricks a lot, Thanks for the tip on door I will check. How did you discover the gap in door. My oval flue adapter does have small gap all around, I can see fire when i look down in it, just a sliver all around , should I seal it with cement

Thanks but the picture makes the bricks look nicer than they are. I will say one thing it's a lot of Hearth area!

Yes I sealed up the gap at the collar. Mine was rather large and was keeping my stack temps too low. This of course along with all the other fixes made it run as designed. Too bad the build was not "as designed". Someone sent me a private message last year to check that area but I thought they said left side. This year during my clean out and inspection I found the "defect" but had no way of responding to whoever gave me the heads up! Could of been a factory person for all I know? Why send me a PM instead of adding it to the knowledge database this site offers? Even if it makes our equipment look bad it gives someone else the answer that may find helpful.

I wish my Hippie dealer would of used the info available to him but instead relies on recipe cards in a box for his source of customer info! When I bought it from him my thought was it's just a stove. Guess I found out different!

Status
Not open for further replies.