Relining chimney for two fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

solarant

Apr 8, 2007
I am going to install a pellet stove in my living room downstairs and a wood burning fireplace in a bedroom upstairs both are serviced by the same chimney.

I intend to install a flex liner, but what I need to know is will I have to install two liners or can I use one.

solarant said:
I am going to install a pellet stove in my living room downstairs and a wood burning fireplace in a bedroom upstairs both are serviced by the same chimney.

I intend to install a flex liner, but what I need to know is will I have to install two liners or can I use one.

If you are putting both in the same physical flu that sounds like a bad idea.

Do you have room to put two different liners in the chimney?

Wood stoves are not premitted for bedroom installations Also one appliance to one chase

Pellet and wood burning are two totally different beasts. Pellet vent is usually run under a positive pressure and wood is a natural draft. About the only appliances that can share a flu are b-vented gas appliances and I would not even do that. You would definitely need two liners. I'm not sure if its allowable to run two liners into the same flue though. I think maybe that's what elk was getting at.

jtp10181 said:
Pellet and wood burning are two totally different beasts. Pellet vent is usually run under a positive pressure and wood is a natural draft. About the only appliances that can share a flu are b-vented gas appliances and I would not even do that. You would definitely need two liners. I'm not sure if its allowable to run two liners into the same flue though. I think maybe that's what elk was getting at.
You can NOT put more than one liner in a flue, even if they will both physically fit, it is absolutely verboten under codes :exclaim:

As also mentioned, you aren't allowed to have a wood stove in the bedroom - this has been hashed out in other threads, the reasoning seems a bit fuzzy, but thems the rules... I'm not sure if you could do a pellet stove in the BR or not, although the noise a pellet stove makes might also be an issue aside from code.

However it is worth noting that while you need a chimney type stack for a wood stove, you don't HAVE to vent a pellet stove up the chimney, indeed most people don't. Within certain limits, it is possible to vent a pellet stove through the wall, not unlike the way you can vent one of the new high efficiency gas furnaces.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
jtp10181 said:
You can NOT put more than one liner in a flue, even if they will both physically fit, it is absolutely verboten under codes :exclaim:

As also mentioned, you aren't allowed to have a wood stove in the bedroom - this has been hashed out in other threads, the reasoning seems a bit fuzzy, but thems the rules... I'm not sure if you could do a pellet stove in the BR or not, although the noise a pellet stove makes might also be an issue aside from code.

However it is worth noting that while you need a chimney type stack for a wood stove, you don't HAVE to vent a pellet stove up the chimney, indeed most people don't. Within certain limits, it is possible to vent a pellet stove through the wall, not unlike the way you can vent one of the new high efficiency gas furnaces.

Gooserider
Nope........ pellet stoves are forbidden in bedrooms also..... as are all solid fuel appliances.
PS there should be enough heat in there anyway.. ;-)

GVA said:
Gooserider said:
jtp10181 said:

Gooserider
Nope........ pellet stoves are forbidden in bedrooms also..... as are all solid fuel appliances.
PS there should be enough heat in there anyway.. ;-)

Yes, but needing to cover up defeats the purpose of the mirrors on the ceiling... %-P

At any rate thanks for clarifying the question on pellet stoves GVA.

Getting back to the earlier issue, I noticed a bit of unclearness in my earlier response... It is possible and quite code-legal to have multiple flues in a single chimney - either as a chase built around a bunch of Class A stacks, or a masonry chimney with several different smoke passages (Hopefully clay flue tile lined) in it, and you can run a different liner, connecting to a different appliance, up each one of those flues (all else permitting) with no major problems, however you can't put two different liners in the same SINGLE flue, which is what I believe the OP was wanting to do...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
... you can't put two different liners in the same SINGLE flue, which is what I believe the OP was wanting to do...

Gooserider

Why not?

BrotherBart said:
Gooserider said:
... you can't put two different liners in the same SINGLE flue, which is what I believe the OP was wanting to do...

Gooserider

Why not?

I need Elk for the hairy details and the exact code cites, but as he has described elsewhere, Code says you need to have a certain minimum mechanical separation between flues - I think it's something like 4" of masonry or a certain amount of physical space. You can't get that if you put two thin metal liners in the same flue passage.

My understanding is that the concern leading to the prohibition is that a chimney fire in one liner might lead to compromising the inegrity of the other, with subsequent risk of smoke / fire spreading.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.