relining old fireplace firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delp

Jan 6, 2009
pittsburgh, pa
greetings,

This is my second post. My first was probably two winters ago when i first began seriously obsessing on getting a wood stove. I have a complicated fireplace situation and could go on and on, but will spare you until the need(s) arise. Right now things are looking up and it looks like I'll be getting my chimney lined, which is the first, huge hurdle. While this is brewing, I'm jumping ahead to "refinishing" the old firebox of what was probably a gas fireplace --Pittsburgh, Pa row house, circa 1898.

I plan on getting an Englander 17vl, as it's small enough to fit right in the old firebox, has a perfectly acceptable boxy look, and is within my budget (any lovers/haters of this stove feel free to chime in!) -the first floor, where it will go is just under 500 sq ft of completely open floor plan living room and kitchen (9 1/2ft ceilings, exposed joists).

I'm thinking that it would be great to reline the old firebox with soapstone tiles. The old bricks are in terrible shape, some are badly broken, mortar is missing, etc. The firebox is going to need work anyway, and suddenly soapstone tile seems like a brilliant idea. It should help hold and reflect heat back into the room and will look way nicer for a long time.

What the best way to fasten Wonderboard to the old brick? Is Wonderboard the right stuff? Do the tiles go on the board with thinset or refractory mortar? Should there be a spacer (for dead air space) between the Wonderboard and old bricks? (although i don't want to loose to much width; the dims inside are 36 h x 26 w x 14 deep).

I'm attaching a photo of said firebox ( I think...?). Yes, it's weird and the hearth that extends out into the room is 2 inch thick slate on about 6 inches of ancient dust and dirt and sand. The slate is broken into three pieces and needs to be replaced. I'll save questions about that for another post...

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions and advice. Even when I thought I'd never have a wood stove I've enjoyed lurking in here and have learned so much from everyone's generous participation. Thank you!

Attachments

• want slate tiles.jpg
    want slate tiles.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 547
Looks like a good nitch for the VL17. Is the brickwork slanted from right to left? It doesn't look level.

I haven't worked with tile on brick, but did tile over it once. I After cleaning the brick, I securely attached heavy chickenwire to the surface. Then lightly wet the brick and applied a rough skim coat to all the surfaces. Let that set up well. Then applied a skimcoat of thinset and buttered the back of the tiles and applied. Not sure if there is a better way for soapstove. Also check with the forum at www.johnbridge.com.

Thanks for your quick reply, Moderator! I think what's happening is that the slate hearth pad is sinking in at the left hand side, so everything looks off kilter --looks worse in the photo than in real life.

I like your idea of attaching chicken wire tight to the brick -is the rough coat thinset too, or mortar?

I'll check out the johnbridge site.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.