reloading a super classic le in the middle of the night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

moxy

Hearth Supporter
Jan 14, 2010
Nova Scotia, Canada
For the past 40 years I have been getting up in the middle of the nigt to reload a VC resolute. Open the damper, lift the lid, and refill. Easy Peasy. 5 minutes and back to sleep.

Will I be able to follow the same quick process or will I have to stay and reestablish a proper burn and make te necessary adjustments? (20 minutes) Yes now I am AWAKE .

Is reloading that difficult?

Sandy

Why not just get a stove that you don't have to reload in the middle of the night?

Reactions: Todd
My guess is you won't have to reload in the middle of the night unless the stove is really undersized and run hard all the time

Reactions: Todd
I had the original Resolute. The Super has a bit larger firebox than the old Resolute and a longer burn.

The original Super can go over 12 hours on a full load. Tom Oyen got 16 hrs. when testing in his shop. I'm not sure about the new LE, but I would expect it to still have a good long burn time with a full load of good firewood. When running correctly, there shouldn't need to be a middle-of -the-night reload unless the stove is being run very hard and hot.

Note that the new stove will burn differently than the old Resolute which was thermostatically regulated. When loading for a long burn, you will need to close down the air in increments until the air is almost all the way closed. How far closed will depend on the draft strength. This process can take as little as 10 minutes on a hot reload or 30 minutes on a cold start depending on the wood burned and draft strength.

I had the original Resolute. The Super has a bit larger firebox than the old Resolute and a longer burn.

The original Super can go over 12 hours on a full load. Tom Oyen got 16 hrs. when testing in his shop. I'm not sure about the new LE, but I would expect it to still have a good long burn time with a full load of good firewood. When running correctly, there shouldn't need to be a middle-of -the-night reload unless the stove is being run very hard and hot.

Note that the new stove will burn differently than the old Resolute which was thermostatically regulated. When loading for a long burn, you will need to close down the air in increments until the air is almost all the way closed. How far closed will depend on the draft strength. This process can take as little as 10 minutes on a hot reload or 30 minutes on a cold start depending on the wood burned and draft strength.
Thanks,
When the weather gets cold i will do a full reload during the day to see how it works. Just trying to avoid a creosote issue. My stove pipe temp seems to be correct to avoid problems. That temp and a good visual burn seem to go together. I now have a stt and will see what the stove top temp is in relation to the pipe temp and the amount of smoke produced. So far it all seems to be coming together as planned,

Depending on how hard you run the stove, you may need to reload, maybe not. When I need to reload, I stay up long enough to make sure the fire is going strong and I don’t choke it down too fast.