Reloading an orlan 40 eko 40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 1000 gallons of storage. I'm still not sure how long that will last with our crazy weather. It could be mid twenties for a week then 65 for a couple days. I remember one year running the air conditioning on Christmas and worrying that the pipes would freeze by New Years. I'm at temperature now (set at 188) I just loaded her up with wood and cob corn. I don't know if that was a good idea or not I think I will have a creosote nightmare tonight. We shall see. Oh the joys of learning new things!

Is storage up to that temp top to bottom ? I've found i burn a lot less wood if i only heat things up hot enough to get me threw until next convenient loading time. Example heat storage to 170 F instead of 195 F

Reactions: Fred61
Is storage up to that temp top to bottom ? I've found i burn a lot less wood if i only heat things up hot enough to get me threw until next convenient loading time. Example heat storage to 170 F instead of 195 F

I have found the same thing, no question.

Last night I was about to put more wood in when my top of storage was 170, then thought wait a minute, it's only November, there's enough heat in there to get me to tomorrow. So I saved a half armload of wood.

No way would I put more wood in of my storage was 188, there's no place for the heat to go - mine doesn't really see much more than 180 mid-winter. Any time you send your boiler to idle, it's wasting wood. 1000 gallons that hot should easily get you a day, this time of the year. Maybe to the second. Depending on your heat load.

Trial & error, you'll get there.

Reactions: Fred61
I guess you could install a draft inducer fan that you can turn on when you open your primary chamber... Ive had an eko 40 now for about 5 yrs. I hate it but it works . Always have trouble with the door seals leaking . cant load it mid burn unless you want to be smoked like a fish.Fan seldom shuts off after burn finishes.Sure wish I spent the money on a higher quality boiler when I built my system. I think the Garn Junior might be a nice xmas present this year or next.

Reactions: hobbyheater
Status
Not open for further replies.