Relocating utility poles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbin

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2008
So. Me.
Is this even possible? If so, how do you effect the change?

Utility pole is smack dab in front of a home with a lovely view. There are lines on the back boundry of the property. Is there a way to shift the offending lines to the back boundry of the property?

Are they distribution, vs transmission or sub-transmission, lines in the back?
Does that pole have your transformer on it? Where is that pole being fed from? If that's along the road, other houses along the road depend on that line.

I'm not sure. But the pole looks to be "important". According to the deed to the property, the pole was put in at the expense of a "landlocked" owner in 1949 on a right of way that has long since been voided by real estate sales (ceded when the landlocked owner purchased a large tract of land that allowed easy, unfettered access to the original property), the most recent home seems to have piggy-backed off that pole. At any rate, the pole and attendant lines swag across the entirety of our frontage and I'd like to see the lines relocated to rear of the property (under 50 yds.), where there are already lines (telephone?). Access to the desired relocation of lines would be the same as it is presently (across my property and with my blessing!)

I'm not sure how to proceed. I'm not interested in riling up abuttors at this point in time. I am simply interested in learning what my rights as a property owner are with respect to a pole that is now on my land and no longer on a ROW and which is a major eye sore and diminishes the value of my property.

Call your utility, i assume CMP? Usually when power lines cross private property. there should be a legal easement. Anything in your deeds? BTW, I'm quite certain deeds and anything like that are accessible to the public. Public information.

Logically the power has to come from somewhere, and I would think the existing utility customers would have to be made whole. So, if there are only telephone lines in the back, and not power, and the neighbors depend on it, it doesn't look that good. The offending line might be undergrounded. None of this is cheap and you would probably pay. Maybe the pole could be moved so that it's not as visible and all you'd notice is wire and it would still serve the other customers. Again, I would think you'd pay, unless you're politically connected. :)

There is no way to relocate the offending pole(s) easily. It's and "either/or" thing. Either where it presently is or 50yds. to the rear of my property.

You've given me good information and some valuable "leads". I have long thought the solution would be expensive, but with the long range, big picture in mind and with information about utilities and some diplomatic forays to abbutors there may be a happy solution. I can only hope... ;)

IMO you find out as much info as you can. Town offices or county offices should have all info of all the land around you. Some of that stuff is interesting, especially when you look back in time. I have a very knowledgeable lawyer that knows the deed and title office like the back of his hand. It would surprise you on land owners who never done a title search or worked off neighboring survey lines when they bought the land.

Status
Not open for further replies.