Remembering "My Side of the Mountain" Book

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
Anyone read this book as a kid.

Great Story even if it is a kids book.

Sadly the author Jean Craighead George passed away this past summer 2012.

Written in 1959 it was a Newbery Medal Honors Book.

There was a movie also made in the 1960's so its pretty dated. Like to see a remake.

200px-My_Side_of_the_Mountain.jpg

loved as a child. My Side of the Mountain, Call of the Wild, etc...

Pretty sure it was a hit with the crew here.

Yeah, I remember liking that book a lot.
I can't read.
At least you can write (or type.) Otherwise, addiction to internet forums would present a lot of problems. ==c

Jags how did you know this was a trick post to see how many people would fess up.

Reactions: Jags
I would suggest even old timers to read it as its a good story. As I remember back years ago when I read it .

I cant see as good as I once could but I can still read. Too many hours frying eyeballs looking at heat radiation.

Hmm, let's...mountain, mountain...no...oh wait! There's this:

Thats pretty good , I think I've heard that song before.

Here is the "My Side of he Mountain" song from the movie. Like i said its from back in the 1960's so its a dated movie

If you have young kids that love the outdoors here is the trailer for the movie but the movie leaves alot of the story out as usual for movies.

I was fascinated by this book when I was a kid. We went trailer/car camping as a kid, and I did a lot of trekking around the woods, but I remember being very influenced to think about subsistence living by this one.

I was fascinated by this book when I was a kid. We went trailer/car camping as a kid, and I did a lot of trekking around the woods, but I remember being very influenced to think about subsistence living by this one.

Ah... Subsistence living ...... The Kilchers "Alaska The Last Frontier" TV show on Discovery channel......

Bit of trivia, did you know the singer "Jewel" is a Kilcher. she did the theme song for the show with her Dad, Atz Kilcher. I like her brothers name "Atz Lee" So you have Atz and Atz Lee.

Wow, the memories this brings back.

I think a part of me has always wanted to live off of the land, in a hollowed out tree since reading this as a young boy.

Cheers!

Reactions: Huntindog1
Thanks for reminding me of this classic! I actually thought about it a few months ago but wasn't at a computer at the time to look it up again.

Does anyone know if there is a kindle version of it? I'm having a hard time finding one

No Kindle version yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.