Remembrance Day ... Fraudulent Sergeant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lake Girl

Nov 12, 2011
NW Ontario
This just really ticks me off ... people go out of their way to honour and respect veterans. This man plays dress-up without any right, so he can stroke his ego. I'm particularly ticked about the first medal on his chest - a Medal of Bravery. My spouse received his MB for a courageous act when he was 15 years old. It's taken a lot of years to convince him to wear it... he just did "the right thing" by swimming out to pull a 2 yo from a submerging car while others just watched from shore. This was an event in his life that helped define the man he is today.

Just heard Ottawa Police are investigating as it is a Criminal Code violation...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...geant-investigated-by-ottawa-police-1.2833979

Reactions: vinny11950
There is an ass for every seat, Lake.. Sure it pisses you off (rightly so) but sometimes shrugging it off when you know it's fraudulent is the best way to move on. Isn't the real measure of the award what was earned, more important than what was faked? Time and documentation will tell the real story.

What I should have added, and more important than my feelings, I can't imagine what a family who has lost a loved while serving their country would be feeling? Or families that have their loved ones returned disabled? Two weeks ago, two servicemen were killed because their military service made them unknowing targets, one at that very monument...

We recently visited WDC with my 102 yo father who is a WWll veteran. He was there with the honor flight group. He had a WWll hat on. He was treated like a rock star for the day. I said to my wife and kids that I wouldn't be surprised if an imposter put on the hat for a day or two to get some attention. Probably be a younger imposter.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
We recently visited WDC with my 102 yo father who is a WWll veteran. He was there with the honor flight group. He had a WWll hat on. He was treated like a rock star for the day. I said to my wife and kids that I wouldn't be surprised if an imposter put on the hat for a day or two to get some attention. Probably be a younger imposter.

he should be treated like a rock star every day! even if he werent a vet just for being around at 102 years young. his being a WW-2 veteran just makes him even that much more admirable in my mind.

those of us who revere such men (and women) who served their country during wartime especially those of us who served ourselves are generally going to be particularly upset when someone has the audacity to impersonate an actual veteran for their own attention. makes me sick actually.:mad:

I agree with stoveguy ... your father is amazing ... there are so few WWII vets remaining that he deserves every bit of the fuss:) Hubby's Great Grandma Catherine was 104 when she passed away. She was tiny but one tough lady!

... those of us who revere such men (and women) who served their country during wartime especially those of us who served ourselves are generally going to be particularly upset when someone has the audacity to impersonate an actual veteran for their own attention. makes me sick actually.:mad:

It was currently serving military that noticed the "tells" on his uniform - inappropriate badges, no sash, beret too small. Some of the specialized divisions (ie paratroopers) are small enough that members would have recognized him as a felllow serviceman ... especially if he had been awarded a Medal of Bravery.

From the article "One piece of insignia Gervais wore that immediately caught the eye of many soldiers was his Patrol Pathfinder badge. That is only worn by paratroopers who pass a gruelling course intended to recreate the experience of being dropped behind enemy lines — a course with a failure rate of up to 90 per cent."

The above mentioned fraud was married in the last year - facebook page that had pictures of him in uniform from his wedding was taken down. Unfortunately, it appears that he is leaving his wife to deal with and shield him from the media enquiries. I feel bad for her as she was probably duped...

Fossil, it is a criminal code violation here so hopefully they follow through. What are the laws in the US?

Freedom of speech.

Not in and of itself, unless it involves an actual criminal offense, like gaining illegal entry or whatever. Even then, it's the entry, not the impersonating that constitutes the criminal behavior. We can pretty much go around lying about (or dressing up as) anything and anybody we want...unless/until it turns out to be libel, slander, or defamation. We're pretty good at it, too...just look at our media and our politicians.

Ah. Its all over the news here in Canada.

Least there ain't no Islamist toting 'Death to the West' banners.

I found it sad... The best part is that he is a pathological liar! He got married in his fictitious uniform and wore the sash on the wrong side!!

In Canada the Criminal Code states:
419. Every one who without lawful authority, the proof of which lies on him,

(a) wears a uniform of the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force or a uniform that is so similar to the uniform of any of those forces that it is likely to be mistaken therefor,

(b) wears a distinctive mark relating to wounds received or service performed in war, or a military medal, ribbon, badge, chevron or any decoration or order that is awarded for war services, or any imitation thereof, or any mark or device or thing that is likely to be mistaken for any such mark, medal, ribbon, badge, chevron, decoration or order,

This law isn't written for costumes, it is written for situations such as these.

Sad....

Andrew

My son is also guilty! He even had the nerve to give his best salute to everyone who gave him candy.

Attachments

• tony 2.JPG
    tony 2.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 104
  • tony1.JPG
    tony1.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: Swedishchef
Nice pics!

Some people think that this guy should be left alone, some think he should be charged. Personally, I find he is trying to imitate someone he wishes he was. What if it was a police officer? What would people say then?

Andrew

Fsappo - He is a handsome guy ... the Canadian law isn't intended for the younger crowd. My eldest dressed up like "Gramps" as an OPP officer when he was about the same age ... I sewed his "dress blues" so I aided and abetted...

Swedishchef, That's the slippery slope if nothing is done. He may be trying to emulate someone he wishes to be but a little over done with the MB and Pathfinders... I'm leaning towards a little more narcissistic and looking for attention.

Reactions: Fsappo
Status
Not open for further replies.