Reminder: Clean Your Blower Motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

project240

Nov 30, 2010
Alberta
We bought a used Osburn 1600 insert 2 years ago and used it alot last year and now use it only on cooler nights/weekends this year after installing our new stove. I always thought the blower was a little noisy, but it was new to us and just assumed that was normal (plus we had never had a stove before, so nothing really to compare it to).

Anyways, I finally decided to remove it and do a thorough cleaning today. The squirrel fans were covered with dust so I blew everything clean with compressed air and then a few drops of oil on each bearing. WOW, what a difference. We use to constantly run the blower on high speed because I thought the blower maybe didn't have enough power. Well, turns out I was completely mistaken. After cleaning, our blower is so much more quiet ( I can't even hear it from 15ft away) and blows more air on low speed now than it did on high before.

So, take this as a reminder to all the new guys or those who don't do it on a regular basis. Spend 15 minutes and clean your blower. It is time well spent!!

I think most of those motors have oil-less bearings, and if you oil them they attract dust/dirt. It will cause them to wear out prematurally. Just blow them out with a few good blasts of air from a compressor and you are good.

I have an old buck 28000. As per the dealer, it does need oil occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.