Remodel a Kiva fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jchri66

Jan 14, 2006
Sorry if my terminology is off a little but I just bought a home with a Kiva fireplace and would like some suggestions on how to remodel it. The fireplace sits in the corner of the room with the firebox facing diagonally across to the other side of the room and is not flush against the wall so it is exterior to the wall. It appears that it was originally constructed with slump block around the firebox and then stuccoed over and painted at a later date. I'm assuming that the slump block does not connect to the firebox. What I want to do is tear down the kiva structure and then frame in a hex shaped structure. Any information on what materials would be used to build up the overmantel and if demolition of the slump structure is a wise thing to do would be helpful. I'm assuming that masonry work will be needed around the firebox but I have no idea what materials would be used for this i.e. cement blocks, bricks. Right now it seems the logical thing to do would be to use masonry to build up the size around the firebox and up the wall covering the chute. Then level out the construction to ready it for some faux stone. If I'm way off let me know thanks.

J.Christoff

Status
Not open for further replies.