remodel and new stove pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks amazing. Great job. I really like the stone i looks great. Myabe would have flagstoned the hearth plate in front though. Still super sweet! Hows she heating?

mtcates said:
. I don't want to put in a pipe damper. A wad of aluminum foil stuffed in the secondary air intake would make a good shutoff valve in case of emergency.

You could fabricate a flat magnet attached to a rod that sits in front for the secondary intake. Upon over-fire just push it over the hole.. Ash pan might be in the way though.

RenovationGeorge said:
Simply lovely. Lots of nice details like the tilted diamond-plate baffle. Sweet! Where did you get that? And what is the stone for the front hearth, and where's it from?

The diamond plate was just an idea and it turned out great. I was actually going to use a flat metal plate and paint it black. When looking for the material I came across a sheet of this aluminum diamond plate and thought wow, that would look great, and it would reflect all the radiant heat. I insulated the top of the plate with R30 fiberglass. The back of the plate sits on the top of the new layer of brick that was laid over the old. I intended to go one more layer high and make the block off plate level but the next row of brick would have interfered with the stainless liner so I stopped at that row. It made a shelf so the plate could sit on top of the last row of brick on the back and the front is attached to the brick lintel with two screws.

I forgot the name of the hearth stone but it is a sedimentary rock as you can see the layers if you look close. I'll find out where its from and the name if you would like me to. I had the edges made round so they wouldn't be so fragile. The stone is porous so I sealed it with the best sealer I could find to protect it from stains.

nojo said:
That looks amazing. Great job. I really like the stone i looks great. Myabe would have flagstoned the hearth plate in front though. Still super sweet! Hows she heating?

Heating Awesome! The stove is 80% in the firebox. The brick to both sides of the stove gets to about 250 to 300 degrees with a hot fire. It's some serious thermal mass to help heat after the fire dies down. The Hearth stone has a rough edge instead of a smooth edge. I have recently installed bamboo flooring and its going to be an interesting custom trim job to clean up the look.

Status
Not open for further replies.