Remodel Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

agrossm

Dec 12, 2009
St. Louis, MO
We are getting ready to do a gut remodel and addition on our house. In the new addition we will have a family room in which we would like to have a pellet insert. After having the Englander for the past few years we a extremely happy with the pellet stove. I called a local fireplace and stove dealer and they told me the only stoves approved for wood frame installation are the Quadra Fires. Although I have read that the Quads are a good stove, I'd really prefer a Harmon due to the bottom feed. A few guys I know have top feeders and have terrible problems with ignition and clinkers. In using the same brand pellets in my bottom feeder I have not had as serious issues. Pellet variety/quality in this area is limited which is why I'd like to stick with a bottom feeder.
Does anyone have an insert installed in "new" construction? What is Harmon's zero clearance housing? Will this permit the installation in wood frame? Could I have the wood frame built and line with concrete board to install?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. We are working with an architect and the plans have yet to be finalized, this is one of the design aspects we are still working on.

Thanks,
Adam.

It looks like the Harman can be installed in a zero clearance box from the previous post. Harman's are great stoves, but I also like the Quadrafire and most problems people experience like you mentioned have more to do with the quality of the pellets being burned. I would also consider local service when you're deciding on a stove in addition to the brand.

Harman makes a He!! of a stove. That being said... I have Never had a problem with ignition or with Clinkers (Burn pellets that it likes and you can go 1 to 2 weeks between cleaning/ prob longer, but I like to keep it clean) My ignitor lasted 3 years.. Well. It missed a couple of ignitions right at the end of the season. That could have been because I had the feed rate slide backed way down. Either way. I had 2 new ones. Put a new one in for next year, when I did Spring cleaning. Have a New one as an extra and still kept the other, because I hooked it up to a Stripped cord and it got "Cherry" Hot.. Only replaced the Ignitor and the Door Gasket. Both were done 2 weeks ago, when I did my Spring Cleaning. Been a great stove. Just looking for a more flexible stove. That has more adjustabilty. I love to tinker. So if you like to "Set it and Forget it". Quad or Harman are for you

I Love my Quad. Was my first and because its the only one uptairs that I see everyday, Its my Favorite. I am currently looking to get a multi-fuel to replace it. But have had no complaints. Last 3 years it has Heated my 2,180 sq ft home on Low Heat, High Fan without a problem. Only hit Med, when temps dip to around 0 degrees outside. Easiest stove to operate. Low, Med, High. I dont believe the CB 1200 insert (Or Castile and Santa Fe) Have an option for Fan or Convection Blower. Only the freestanding CB 1200 has this extra swith. Unless you get the Mt. Vernon. Then you have many more options. But have never been a fan of the "Auto-Clean" system on the Mt. Vernon.

Both Quad and Harman are made by H&H. Both are great stoves.. Shop around and buy what you like...

Just some ramblings here, so dont take it wrong please.

I have been around various brands of stoves (pellet) over the years and have never liked an insert, not becuase of the looks or the way they heat, but instead that fact that to get at anything to work on it is a real pain.

If you have a brick fireplace thats existing, the insert can be a nice option, but the wood framed "Chase" that can house a metal fireplace is IMHO Impractical.

Last winter I did a little bit of Home Improvement here and built a raised hearth and installed a free standing pellet stove.

You can build a corner hearth and do some fancy paint work and other little things that make it look like a bricked in hearth.

Having the ability to access the stove in a hurry without wrestling it out of a hole, especially in the dead of winter can be a nice thing.

Having not seen your setup and what you have to work with, I can't say for sure, but there are options, especially when your doing a GUT IT OUT remodel.

I am also an extreme proponent of the short direct vent system.

Easy to clean and does not have any issues with ROOF LEAKS later down the line.

We have 3 stoves upstairs and one down and they all use the direct vent system.

Just a few thoughts

Here is a piccy of what we did in the family room.

The pipe in the upper part of the pix is left from an old pellet stove that we had in the corner back when we built the place.

It was a full rise chimney that went out and then up to above the roof line.
It was a royal pain to clean.

The current setup has about a 4 foot run from the stove, out the wall to the terminus.
Easy to suck out with the shop vac and then the leaf blower to finish it off.

Dont need any ladders or any of that stuff.

Good luck on your project.

Take piccy's and keep us posted.

Snowy

Attachments

• 2T.jpg
    2T.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 140
Status
Not open for further replies.