Remodel to contemporary fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aquapura

Sep 17, 2008
Mpls
Newbie here looking for some help. My wife and I doing a top to bottom remodeling of our 1960's built home in Mpls, MN. The house has an over-under masonry fireplace with openings in the basement and on the main level. Each opening is 18" deep + approx 4" for the brick veneer, 28" high, 37" wide at front and 32" wide at back. Both flues are clay lined 8" x 13" rectangular. The remodel of our home is a much more contemporary city look. I'm also an architect by profession and quite particular about the design. We want a flat look with floating hearth and mantle. Planning to either cover or replace the existing masonry with furring, cement board and stone tiles. Now trying to match a fireplace to that design. After visiting some local dealers we've more or less written off the N. American built inserts. This house is in the city, not the northwoods. I've spent some time searching hearth.com researching the more contemporary fireplaces available and am still left with some questions.

First off, local dealers have quoted $1200 + materials for a full insert install including chimney relining. I'm quite handy and would think this is something a DIY can tackle. Am I out of my league? Also, is removing existing dampers a difficult task? I haven't looked too close yet but am willing to get dirty to save $1200.

Second, for the contemporary look we are leaning towards the Wittus H530. Only real contemporary floor model we saw. However that model does not have a fan. Is that something to worry about? I do want to get functional heat out of this fireplace. Is there any way to add an aftermarket fan? The bigger Optifire model does have the fan but don't think it'll fit.

Third, I've heard different opinions on using outside air for combustion. We're putting all new windows and insulation in this house. It's getting tighter by the day. I can duct outside air if necessary. Thoughts?

Last, another model we liked from our research is the Morso 5660. This model does have an optional fan. Any plus or minus over the Wittus?

We appreciate any insight you might have.

Another stove in this realm is the Rais 60. But in my opinion, these stoves, with perhaps the exception of the Morso, are for show first and heating second. You'll need to decide your priorities, but given the price of fuel, I would opt for heating performance first. Sometimes function over form is a good thing.

Thanks for the follow-up. I did find that other thread while searching the internet. Already have my new stove installed and am enjoying it already.

Went with a Morsoe 5660 insert. After it was installed I covered the old brick surround with cement board to flush out with the insert. Now (my wife) in the process of picking a tile to complete the new look.

Can't say enough good things about the Morsoe. Easily heats the whole main level of my home (1250 sf) from an armful of firewood.

I know this is an old thread but sounds like i am doing a ver similar insall to yours. The 5660 is sitting in my living room now and i have demolished some of the brick and will be putting up metal studs, cemet board and then onyx tiles.

Did you have any issues? Any tricks, hints, or suggestions? Any pictures would be great.. Thanks... Mark

SouthShoreBurn said:
I know this is an old thread but sounds like i am doing a ver similar insall to yours. The 5660 is sitting in my living room now and i have demolished some of the brick and will be putting up metal studs, cemet board and then onyx tiles.

Did you have any issues? Any tricks, hints, or suggestions? Any pictures would be great.. Thanks... Mark

I didn't demolish the brick...only the hearth and mantle so we could flatten the wall. Went over the brick with cement board screwed into the existing brick with Tapcon screws. Did that <u>after</u> the insert was installed so I could cut the cement board to fit up around the insert. We didn't go with the larger surround for the 5660 in our situation and needed that extra couple inches of cement board to get the tile up close to the insert. I had the 5660 professionally installed which took those guys quite some time since apparently I was the first person in the state to get one and they were unfamiliar with the design. After that everything I did wasn't bad. Worst was hammer drilling all those screw holes into the brick. Will try to get some photos uploaded for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.