Remote control for air control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
Has anyone seen this? Forgive me if there are other posts about it, but I didn't find any. I always wish my draft was remotely controlled. You may want to skip the first two minutes of this video.

So easy, even a cave man can do it.

Air brought in through the bottom grate? I always thought that it was a no no, equal to opening the bottom ash pan on start up. I like the concept though.

I like that it's a coal or wood burning unit, and I love the remote control feature.

Air brought in through the bottom grate? I always thought that it was a no no, equal to opening the bottom ash pan on start up. I like the concept though.

For coal the air needs to come from under the fire to keep it going. In the animation sequence of the video, as he moves the lever from wood to coal, it closes the top air and opens the bottom... When the lever is in the "start" position both vents are open.

KaptJaq

Reactions: fishingpol
Update: It appears that they have given up on promoting the Nestor Martin brand for woodstoves in the US. It continues to be promoted as a premium brand almost everywhere else in the world.

The S33 cast iron stove from Nestor Martin's line (which has the same firebox and remote control setup as mine) is now being marketed in the USA under the old Efel brand:
http://www.efel-usa.com/

"Efel" is just a phonetic rendering of FL, for Foundries du Lion, which manufactures the units in Belgium. I don't know where they are coming in price-wise, but it appears the quality is the same... which is very good.

And they are also starting to use a couple of the same brand names they have been promoting in Europe for some simpler, less expensive stoves: Stanford and Harmony. These are made by FL but do not have the same internal design.

I don't understand the sense of this "multiple brand name" strategy - it's too scattered, it's hard enough to get even one accepted in the marketplace. They should just pick one, put all models under it, and run with it for the long term.

Gee... someday my X33 will be a collector's item... ;lol

Weird. Thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.