Remote control switch for DHW recirculating pump

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
I’ve purchased a hot water recirculating pump kit. It’s a circulator pump with a 24 hr timer and a valve that goes to furthest sink. Pumping hot water through the cold side.
I’m trying to find a remote controlled switch with a 5 min timer. I don’t want to use a app or ask Alexa. Ideally I’d have a remote/key fob I could leave next to sink. Hit the button, and turn on pump for 5 mins.
Seems simple. I cannot find what I need. Any ideas!!

Could you put a receptacle near the pump and wire the pump with a plug end and use a smart switch

I just went through this myself. our kitchen is far away from where the water heater is. I ended up getting a smart plug and a smart motion sensing switch. Put the switch in the kitchen and programmed it to turn on the smart plug in the basement. Programmed the smart plug to turn itself off 5 mins after it turns on. Anytime someone goes into the kitchen it pumps hot water for 5 mins and you don't have to do anything or interact with it at all.

BTW, I started out with the crossover valve using the cold water as the return, but found the lukewarm water in the cold side to be unacceptable in the kitchen. In a bathroom it's probably not so bad, but I want cold water to drink at my kitchen sink! So for another $100 and a weekend's effort I bought a 100' coil of 1/2" PEX-B, check valve, pipe insulation and a few other fittings and was able to pull a dedicated return line most of the way to where my kitchen sink is. Now I have to wait ~10 sec for hot water instead of 4 minutes. YMMV.

Edit: BTW #2. Every smart motion switch I could find online has a "feature" that it will only turn on if it senses that the room is dark. Seems practical for lighting application, but is not useful for controlling DHW recirculation. I was able to open this one up by removing 7 small phillips screws, and simply clipped one of the legs on the photocell. Now it turns on any time of the day.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, I found a switch with a 30 min countdown timer with remote. Now to see if it will work from 2nd floor bath to basement. Idk. I’ll let you know