Remote mounted convection blower.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletizer

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2008
Pellet County N.H.
I know it would void the stove warranty if there is even one anymore but a friend had an idea for my Englander 25PDVC,
The stove is set on granite on a wood floor in a cathedral ceiling room. (lots of echos)
Always had and still do have issues with noisy cheap Fasco convection blower motors currently on 4th blower motor.
My friend said move and mount the convection blower out of the stove and directly behind and below the stove in the basement (on the basement ceiling ) and use 3" flex pipe like the air intake pipe to run from the blower to the stove.

I thought of it and it would be a simple process to do and would only require about 3 feet of 3" flex pipe so air flow I believe would not be effected much and I believe it would reduce the stove noise almost in half.

I know a lot of you are saying "hack job" ect but in reality I believe it could work.
I mean I cut hole in my wall for my exhaust pipe and air intake so why not a 3" hole behind the stove in the floor?

Your thoughts?

Reactions: P38X2
I mounted the blower in a box(wood for concept purposes)with 2 sides being furnace filters. Lowered the dust a lot and the fan vibration is not being amplified by the hopper with extender. Going to fabricate one of metal with sound absorbing material next year with hopes of stove mount. Used aluminum flex to connect to stove.

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Im surprised some of the manufacturers haven't addressed noise issue more. Let us know how it works. When you say "convection" fan, I assume you mean the one that blows the heat out to the room?

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Im surprised some of the manufacturers haven't addressed noise issue more. Let us know how it works. When you say "convection" fan, I assume you mean the one that blows the heat out to the room?
Takes more expensive fans or run larger fans slower. The german fans in the Ecoteck run very quiet and the exhaust fan is almost silent. Only thing I can hear during startup is the falling of the pellets into the pot.

Yes, the convection fan and thank you,

I agree and had the same thought about rigging something up a while back. I absolutely love my stove, but the noise can get a bit much at times. Most of the time I don't notice it until a warm day comes around and the blower shuts off. Then I realize how loud the TV is to compensate for it. My installation is corner placed on ceramic tile which only amplifies things. I've mitigated the noise quite a bit with carefully placed chunks of Roxul, but it still could be a LOT quieter.

If Harman could engineer a quieter distribution fan, the stove would be perfect IMO.

I agree and had the same thought about rigging something up a while back. I absolutely love my stove, but the noise can get a bit much at times. Most of the time I don't notice it until a warm day comes around and the blower shuts off. Then I realize how loud the TV is to compensate for it. My installation is corner placed on ceramic tile which only amplifies things. I've mitigated the noise quite a bit with carefully placed chunks of Roxul, but it still could be a LOT quieter.

If Harman could engineer a quieter distribution fan, the stove would be perfect IMO.

Last year I lined the interior back area of my stove with noise reducing material and it helped but the blower motor is the noise maker. My stove is on super low now settings 1 - 2 and I can hear the fasco whining... Most annoying ......

Funny P38X2 as we have had the TV compensate thing happen as well...

Go Bruins, they did well considering what they were dealing with tonight in Ottawa..

My cold air return fan is a cheap ($18) walmart Hawaiian Breeze brand oscillating desk fan, 12" I think. On low it's extremely quiet (actually, it's quiet on high as well) and its output feels at least what my stove's dist fan is on high.

I wonder if something like that would have enough nut to be used in some sort of external box setup? I'm not quite sure how to taper it down to a 4" flex hose though.

Not to get all Martha Stewart, but the box could be placed inside an appropriately sized wicker chest, or something similar, to make it look less obtrusive.

Great thread topic, pelletizer.

Bioburner, I'd love to hear more about what you made. Using the factory blower is certainly the easiest option as far as fans go.

B's played a pretty good game tonight. Don't know if you caught the beginning but I think I was most impressed by Lyndon Slewidge absolutely BELTING out the 2 national anthems. Dang!

Anyway, pelletizer, would you say the noise from your stove is mostly from the blower itself, rather than the noise of the air whooshing out of the vent?

Could that motor be used in conjunction with the existing stove fan speed control? I'm assuming our stoves use the same type of variable speed control technology.

B's played a pretty good game tonight. Don't know if you caught the beginning but I think I was most impressed by Lyndon Slewidge absolutely BELTING out the 2 national anthems. Dang!

Anyway, pelletizer, would you say the noise from your stove is mostly from the blower itself, rather than the noise of the air whooshing out of the vent?

Most noise is the cheap Fasco sealed bearings which last only about 3 to 4 weeks and I assume they cannot handle the heat. When new motor is on but give em about 4 weeks and the high pitched whine starts and sounds like one is in manufacturing area. Englander has given me 2 replacement convection motors and I am on the 4th one i purchased myself and they just do not hold up I guess.

As far as the Amazon motor I think it would work but wait to hear from the person who actually purchased and installed one.

Sorry I missed the beginning of the game as I was out clearing a skating area on a small pond out back.
Man I am out of shape,,,,,,LOL...

Why not go a step further, Is there any reason why (if you have access to the basement or crawl space) that you couldn't improve efficiency by installing a cold air return at the far end of the area you want to heat and running it to a filter box in the basement with a small replaceable furnace filter and then mounting the convection blower in line and piping the air from there back up to the stove?

Wouldn't that improve the heating efficiency by drawing the air from farther away from the stove?

I've also wondered if you could mount the combustion blower outside at the end of the vent pipe. Sort of like a mini version of those commercial kitchen exhaust fans you see on the sides of restaurants.

Sometimes the fan is needed to draw heat from out of the stoves cabinet. Harman p series has a separation of fire chamber and feed assembly. Don't know of another stove with fireplace mode either.

I've also wondered if you could mount the combustion blower outside at the end of the vent pipe. Sort of like a mini version of those commercial kitchen exhaust fans you see on the sides of restaurants.
enviro mini and several european stoves.

Reactions: mchasal
Sometimes the fan is needed to draw heat from out of the stoves cabinet. Harman p series has a separation of fire chamber and feed assembly. Don't know of another stove with fireplace mode either.
If you consider it fireplace mode,a lot of european stoves have no convection blower.Ones imported have them added to make them more efficent to meet gov. standards.

If you consider it fireplace mode,a lot of european stoves have no convection blower.Ones imported have them added to make them more efficent to meet gov. standards.
Didn't think the Gov gave a %$^# about the stoves thermal efficiency, only the burn particulates ppm, CO2 etc.

Only know what I was told,never researched it.Maybe for selling points?
Can still buy some gas furnaces with lower efficiencies. Don't care if you don't use it much. I lucked out and got a very high eff. with multispeed blower for less than $500, but sits in the shed. Will have to install in order to sell house and move to some more tax friendly state. I am tired of drilling for fish too.

Can still buy some gas furnaces with lower efficiencies. Don't care if you don't use it much. I lucked out and got a very high eff. with multispeed blower for less than $500, but sits in the shed. Will have to install in order to sell house and move to some more tax friendly state. I am tired of drilling for fish too.
I have 2 empire dv's in cabin,in mountains and power goes out a lot,so even without the blowers they work as convection units.Purposly put them in back when burned wood.All high eff. propane units need power to run.Don't believe in drilling for fish either,wait untill I can take boat or raft!

Had to wear a heated suit both Memorial weekend and Labor day weekend. Not the way to fish or cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.