Remote Outlet - Thermostat Controlled?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Anybody know of a wireless thermostat rig that controls a wall outlet? I am getting a burning (pun intended) desire to have a thermostat that turns my stove blower on and off based on room temp in a remote room. I have a Stove Stat that starts and stops the blower based on stove temp but want to fool around with turning the blower on and off based on room temp.

Ive never heard of such a thing, But it could be done with wire, a standard wall mount thermostat, a 24v supply, and a relay. Problem is if you wanted the fan on when the room is above term set point it wouldnt come on. If you want let me know and Ill give you the details

BrotherBart said:
Anybody know of a wireless thermostat rig that controls a wall outlet? I am getting a burning (pun intended) desire to have a thermostat that turns my stove blower on and off based on room temp in a remote room. I have a Stove Stat that starts and stops the blower based on stove temp but want to fool around with turning the blower on and off based on room temp.

There's a plug thermostat out there that is used to control the portable propane and kerosene heaters. Not sure how they work, but you might try an industrial supply house. They are used to give some temperature based control to normally on, heaters. Might work.

Wireless might be overkill and it would be pricey. I'd wire up a receptacle in a handy box to a standard 110v thermostat.

Line voltage t-stat I use them all the time....... Temp hits a certain reading contacts close or open and you got 120volts wherever you need it...
I actually have one controling a exhaust fan in the server room at work heat rises and the ac can't always keep up so when the ceiling get to around 75* the exhaust kicks in and pulls the excess heat out......

GVA said:
Line voltage t-stat I use them all the time....... Temp hits a certain reading contacts close or open and you got 120volts wherever you need it...
I actually have one controling a exhaust fan in the server room at work heat rises and the ac can't always keep up so when the ceiling get to around 75* the exhaust kicks in and pulls the excess heat out......

Is that like the draft inducer fans? When I had a heat distribution problem at the store(the store was 70* and the office was 50* Took a 6" pipe and an inducer. When the stream of air past the switch hit a certain high, the fan went on... Brought the office temp right up.

They have this device at Home Depot for $29 or so: http://www.suncourt.com/DuctStat.html

Ductstat
Plug-In Line Voltage Thermostat

Model DS100
SKU 197598

Ductstat Electronic thermostat gives automatic on-off control of INDUCTOR Duct Fans. Also controls 110 volt lights, dampers, fans, etc. 3 user-adjustable controls: operation, temperature setting & sensitivity. Thermostat range exceeds 50 deg. F to 100 deg. F to meet a wide range of applications. Replaceable fuse for safety. Grounded power cord & switched outlet. 10 amp resistive, 5 amp inductive load capability. 3 full year limited warranty. UL & ULC listed, conforms to ANSI/UL Standard 705 & CSA Standard 22.2. Housing is flame-retardant, high-impact ABS.

Simplifies installation of Suncourt Inductor Fans.
This unit mounts on the duct downstream from you Inductor Duct Fan
Temperature range: 40 F to 110 F. Rated at 5 Amps.
UL and ETL Listed

A he(( of a lot of good ideas on this thread. Toys one never even thought about .

*** O; yeah ,thats right . HARD CORE TOOLS for those chest thumpers and also for the ones that have to sell off the ideas to the boss. ;-)

Roospike said:
A he(( of a lot of good ideas on this thread. Toys one never even thought about .

*** O; yeah ,thats right . HARD CORE TOOLS for those chest thumpers and also for the ones that have to sell off the ideas to the boss. ;-)

And the ones that are trying to apease a wife who is not happy about waking up in the upstairs bedroom, on the other end of the house from the fireplace the stove is in, at eighty degrees. 12 degrees outside. Eleven hours after the stove was loaded. Damped to 500 and the blower on a low speed. This ain't no little house either.

I am starting to think I wasn't kidding when I said this thing could heat Texas Stadium. Even if they don't close the hole in the top of it.

UncleRich said:
GVA said:

Is that like the draft inducer fans? When I had a heat distribution problem at the store(the store was 70* and the office was 50* Took a 6" pipe and an inducer. When the stream of air past the switch hit a certain high, the fan went on... Brought the office temp right up.
No actually The IT guy was setting up 5 more servers for our new DC in Norwood and the heat pouring out of the racks was just too much for the AC unit to keep up with.... I was trying to remove the heat so I used a heat/cool t-stat and wired it to 2 Broan bathroom exhaust fans installed in the drop ceiling, with the ducts going to a roof exhaust. It works pretty good...

I have used those inline fans that you can connect to 6,8,10 inch hose and have a wall switch to boost the airflow into certain offices to keep certain people happy....... You know how it is 1 rooftop a/c unit for 6 offices 3 are warm and 3 are cold, everyone plays with the t-stat affecting everyone else. Tough to keep everyone happy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.