Remote Temp & Humidity Monitoring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonesy

Feeling the Heat
Oct 6, 2011
NE PA
Just wondering if anyone else has a similar setup. I'm curious of the temp and humidity in certain parts of the house/garage/basement. Seems like this is a good deal for those that are solely using a pellet or any type of system for heat and need to know if it goes down.

I just purchased the La Crosse Weather Direct Online Temperature and Humidity Wireless Alert System. You can check the temp/humidity from any where with an Internet connection. The system will send email/text alerts whenever certain points are reached. You can set the points to what ever you want. The set comes with one sensor and the Internet gateway that must be wired to your router. The sensor is wireless and communicates to the gateway which then sends your data to a server that you can access any time from any Internet connection. The alert system comes free for one year, after that it is subscription based but you can still check temp/humidity for free. However, I did not buy it for the alert, I just want to be able to logon and check temp/humidity.

I got the kit on Amazon for $46 (much cheaper then other places). It includes one sensor and the gateway. I purchased an additional sensor for $35 also from Amazon.

Attachments

• laCrosse Weather Direct 1.jpg
    laCrosse Weather Direct 1.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 332
  • LaCrosse Weather Direct.jpg
    LaCrosse Weather Direct.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 347
Cant access from the intenet.But I Can view the temp and humidity of 4 different rooms. Just came in the mail yesterday. Made by Oregon Scientific. Within a few minutes of unpacking the unit and sensors were within .4 degrees and 2%-3% humidity.

Bought it so I know what the temp of the kids rooms are in real time from our bedroom. Battery is Solar Powered or can use regular batteries.

What you got seems nice. Checking from anywhere would be sweet.

But having a couple back ups this year. I dont think my house will be getting to cold. We have ADT security system and there Fire/Smoke alarm also senses room temp. If there is a significant rise or drop (10-15*) in a half hr or hour. It will call my phone and tell me. Or if the temp reaches 45* it calls my cell to alert me of near freezing temps and to get home to correct the problem. ADT is no longer "Just Security" its peace of mind. Also has a Sump Pump monitor. Really nice knowing if its been running for to long, or possibly stopped running.

Attachments

• Oregon.jpg
    Oregon.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 2Oregen.jpg
    2Oregen.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 313
I am glad you brought up this topic. Now that we are not turnng on the oil burner, except when it cycles for DHW, my wife has been worried about pipes in our unfinished basement freexzing, once really cold weather gets here.

The kind of monitor you both are describing might be a good idea for us.

Thanks.

Since it was chilly here in NEPA overnight (about 28-30f) I've been watching the historical temp of my garage with the downloadable Excel spreadsheet using the above mentioned LaCrosse unit and the Big E running. I have it set at 61 using the on/off feature with a Breckwell remote wireless thermostat. It looks like it has 1 degree of swing (or 2 if you count both ways - not sure how 'swing' is phrased). Seems it runs for about an average of one half hour to heat the approx 900sqft area from about 60 to 62.6 on setting #3. This temp reading is from the wireless internet thermometer that I purchased above and it may be off a few tenths because of placement but you get the idea. It will then last for about an average of 1.5hrs until the temp is back down to 60 when it kicks on again. Keep in mind the space is only insulated to R13 walls and ceiling and has two 9x8 thin metal garage doors with a foam backing as "insulation".

Here is a graph starting at midnight using the data from the wireless thermometer:

Attachments

• garage-Time-and-Temp.jpg
    garage-Time-and-Temp.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 264
Gee, thanks for posting this. Poof, there goes another 100 bucks on something I don't need but desperately want!!! :)

Was lukewarm about it until you showed me the historical data. Dang it. Can you track it for a whole season. Would be really interesting to have a sensor outside to correlate the variances and compare that against actual pellet use... Hmmm.

Now, if it had a camera on it so I could see my stove burning at the same time, shaaaawing.

lbcynya said:
Gee, thanks for posting this. Poof, there goes another 100 bucks on something I don't need but desperately want!!! :)

Was lukewarm about it until you showed me the historical data. Dang it. Can you track it for a whole season. Would be really interesting to have a sensor outside to correlate the variances and compare that against actual pellet use... Hmmm.

Now, if it had a camera on it so I could see my stove burning at the same time, shaaaawing.

lol, sorry for contributing to your wallet getting skinny!!

The historical data stays for about 30 days on the server in an Excel format. On the website it says "Note: Data is not preserved at the server indefinitely. To keep a data history longer than 30 days, download and save a copy of your history often. " However, it does not show 30 days worth of data on the site. You need to download the file if you want to see more then the past 5 or so readings.

In the excel file it has all of your sensors (for me it is basement and garage). It also includes the date/time stamp, the temp and the humidity. The sensors I am using also come with a 6' probe that can be attached or removed at the bottom. This probe can be inserted in soil, or really anywhere. They also have a waterproof version of the probe. You can have the internet gateway poll the sensors anywhere from every 5 minutes (what I am using) to every 120 minutes. I made the chart using Excel and the chart wizard, that is not provided from the service. The spreadsheet only contains the data.

I am also planning on a camera pointed directly at the stove to see what it's doing. I already have 2 cams in the garage. If you really want good HD quality video, use the Logitech 700i (interior) and 700e (exterior) security cams. They aren't cheap, but they are much cheaper then any other commercial solutions that provides HD quality live video or recordings. PM me if you want more info on how to run the Logitech cams without buying their "Kit".

Been using Honeywell TM005X for years. It is a 4 channel wireless Temperature and Humidity station. Unit has 4 wireless remote sensors that use lithium batteries. I use one outside and 3 around the house to balance the room temperatures. Wireless is handy because I move them around. It does not have a PC interface but has really helped to get a handle on the temperature control of my house.

jmbones said:
Just wondering if anyone else has a similar setup. I'm curious of the temp and humidity in certain parts of the house/garage/basement. Seems like this is a good deal for those that are solely using a pellet or any type of system for heat and need to know if it goes down.

I just purchased the La Crosse Weather Direct Online Temperature and Humidity Wireless Alert System. You can check the temp/humidity from any where with an Internet connection. The system will send email/text alerts whenever certain points are reached. You can set the points to what ever you want. The set comes with one sensor and the Internet gateway that must be wired to your router. The sensor is wireless and communicates to the gateway which then sends your data to a server that you can access any time from any Internet connection. The alert system comes free for one year, after that it is subscription based but you can still check temp/humidity for free. However, I did not buy it for the alert, I just want to be able to logon and check temp/humidity.

I got the kit on Amazon for $46 (much cheaper then other places). It includes one sensor and the gateway. I purchased an additional sensor for $35 also from Amazon.

I like the idea of logging temperature data for example to see how often a stove on a thermostat goes on like in your graph or what the lowest outside temperature was. I also want a real time remote display of the current temperature. I don't see any display for this one - just the logging. Have you seen a remote display for it?

Maybe even something that would display real time temperature on a PC that you could then send to a tablet via wi-fi or something like that would work. Can it do anything like that?

for this model every five minutes is as real time as it gets. When you login to your account it will display the latest reading. The remote unit itself will display real time readings on the physical unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.