Remote Zone Heating with an Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmhpsu93

Nov 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Anyone know of any inserts that have a remote zone forced air heating option, similar to something like the Quadra-Fire 7100? I'm thinking about adding an insert to an existing 30" x 42" fireplace.

MMandm said:
Anyone know of any inserts that have a remote zone forced air heating option, similar to something like the Quadra-Fire 7100? I'm thinking about adding an insert to an existing 30" x 42" fireplace.

I have read threads where people have intertained the idea of coming up through the ash dump in their fireplace with piping to run to an exchanger they would fabricate onto the back of their stove. They would use this to preheat water. Much was discussed, as to the heat this would pull from inside the firebox and the overall effects on the burn and fuel supply. Also the insert vs. stove would have to be addressed provided you have an ash dump to utilize. Leaving no option but to elevate the insert for ducting. The lenght of the run and temp. of air at the end of the run would be questions to consider. Not familiar with any inserts offering this option

MMandm said:

Not that I have ever heard of.

Those RSF units are fireplaces, so you can't place them into an existing masonry fireplace (unless you have a REALLY tall opening, like 4 feet or so). I'd love to be able to utilize the FP market (the options for central heating are certainly better, but they're expensive, too), and if I were building a house I'd certainly look into them vs. an insert or wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.