Removable 4-way wedge for electric splitters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixminus1

Jan 11, 2008
Coastal NJ
I've been using a DR 5-ton electric log splitter for a couple of months, and I'm very happy with it. During a recent (long and boring) splitting session, I had an idea about how it could be modified to make the work more efficient.

The splitter has a single wedge, so it can only make one split at a time. I'm imagining a "+" shaped attachment that sits on top of (and around) the existing wedge, so that a log could be split into quarters in one cycle. It doesn't seem like the type of thing that would have to be welded to the wedge... as a matter of fact it might be a nice feature for it to be removable.

Back-of-a-napkin sketch is below.

I don't have any tools or talent for metal-working... anyone feel like taking on the challenge?

Attachments

• Log Splitter 4-way Wedge.JPG
    Log Splitter 4-way Wedge.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 468
I think you may find your splitter doesn't have enough oomph to do 4-way splitting. That's usually reserved for bigger splitters.

To split faster with those electrics, one needs to modify the idiot switches to allow one-hand operation. Then you can do like some do with the gas-powered ones: split once in half, and then rotate each half one split at a time as you work the ram back and forth the minimum required to separate the next split.

It may work on the easiest to split wood. The removable splitter head would be a must on a small electric splitter. I think I would set the horizontal wedge back a little farther to allow the vertical blade to crack the wood in half first. Then I would probably angle the outside tips of the horizontal wedge forward so they can catch the pre-split log.

DiscoInferno said:
I think you may find your splitter doesn't have enough oomph to do 4-way splitting. That's usually reserved for bigger splitters.

To split faster with those electrics, one needs to modify the idiot switches to allow one-hand operation. Then you can do like some do with the gas-powered ones: split once in half, and then rotate each half one split at a time as you work the ram back and forth the minimum required to separate the next split.

Thankfully, the DR splitters allow one-handed operation. No idiot switch -- the power switch stays on, and the lever moves the ram. The splitter has surprised me a few times, getting through larger logs than the specs call for, but most of the logs I deal with are 10" dia. or smaller. If I decide to give the 4-way a try, I'll report back on how the splitter handled it.

Kirk22 said:
It may work on the easiest to split wood. The removable splitter head would be a must on a small electric splitter. I think I would set the horizontal wedge back a little farther to allow the vertical blade to crack the wood in half first. Then I would probably angle the outside tips of the horizontal wedge forward so they can catch the pre-split log.

Great ideas. These might be the ticket for allowing a lower-powered splitter to handle the 4-ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.