removable flue damper??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgcable

Jan 24, 2010
Milford, CT
Are most fireplace flue dampers removable without cutting them out? I have a 1932 home with a beautiful fireplace and the damper splits my flue in 2 sections that are only 3-1/4" wide so I can't fit my 4" flexpipe liner through either of the sections. My fireplace has a brass knob on the front of it that controls opening and closing the damper. There is no way to bend it out of the way so I will have to remove it. It is very heavy duty. Some people have told me it might be able to be removed if it has cotter pins holding it together. I hate to chop it out.
If you were laying on your back in my fireplace looking up at the damper it would look like a choke on a car carburetor.

Get under there with some good lighting so you can see
the deal. As mentioned, most are held in with cotter pins
or some other hinged affair that allows the damper to open/close easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.