Remove Air Deflector from F 400 Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cycloxer

Minister of Fire
Jul 9, 2008
Worcester County, MA
Has anyone removed the air deflector from their Castine? I have seen some pictures of Castine's without this. Was that an older design? Does anyone know when this was incorporated and if it is really necessary. The glass would look much nicer w/o this piece.

Attachments

• Deflector 1.jpg
    Deflector 1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 349
  • Deflector 2.jpg
    Deflector 2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 255
I believe it's part of the air wash system. The older double-door units may have not had it. But IIRC, the glass blackened more on them.

My RSF has a perforated metal deflector across the top that is visible through the glass. It got all warped from overfiring and I removed it to straighten and tried the stove without it. The stove did not like it removed.

My Castine, just like yours, was built in early 2008. It has the deflector as in your picture.

It looks to me that it's purpose is to help prevent smoke spillage into the room when the door is opened for reloading.

Yeah I might be wrong. I went back and looked at some pictures. Depending on the angle at which they are taken, it can give an illusion that there is no deflector. I was watching how the air flows and I don't think it would be good to run w/o this.

Status
Not open for further replies.