remove cast iron insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwinz

Nov 19, 2007
Maryland
Hi,

We are getting a professioanl to install an insert for gas.
We currently have a cast iron insert for a log fire.

It will cost $275 to remove it.

How can I remove it myself so I can save $275?
or is it better to leave it to the professionals?

What tools do I need and what should I keep in mind?

Thanks

This is probably a steel stove, maybe with a cast door. Post a picture and we can tell a lot more about what you need to do. Mostly, be prepared for a dirty job by protecting carpet , furniture and hearth. Move nearby furniture pieces away and cover them. It helps to have a 3 x 3 piece of sheet metal to slide the stove out on. Have a good shop vac with a secondary filter on hand and a strong helper.

If you don't mind spending a few bucks, Home Depot and Lowe's both have 4 wheel moving dolleys that you can get that stove up on and roll it away. I'd say you need at least two people and something for a lever to get it on. As far as taking it out, you need to keep taking apart the obvious things holding it in until it is detached from the mounting location then slide it out. The installation of the new unit should include doing whatever is needed to make that unit safe.

Thanks for the swift response and advice.
I've attached a photo of the insert.
What special tool do I need to remove it (apart form the dolly)?

Another question
Do you recommend getting the chimney inspected for leaks?
I get a little water at the bottom of the fireplace when it rains hard.
The fireplace contractor said this will dissappear when they close off the top of the chimney.
I don't want pay over 6K for the gas insert installation then have to remove the pipes because
their is leak in the chimney structure.

Please advise.
Thanks

Attachments

• castironinsert.jpg
    castironinsert.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 299
Yep, steel stove. You'll need some screwdrivers to remove the shroud, surround, detach pipes, etc. Then the aforementioned instruments. It might help to have a pry bar or two on hand so that you can slip the edge of the steel sheet under the stove. Once the surrounds are off it will be pretty self-descriptive.

Yes, they should install a proper chimney top plate and rain collar on the flue pipe. There should be no water coming down the chimney.

Wow, 6K for a gas insert installation? Is the new unit gold-plated? What stove?

Agree w/BeGreen comments...6K is a lot of money for insert install, unless they are also installing the gas and gas lines in the house. Even at that, you would be served by getting a competitive quote for gas/line installation. I suspect you may find someone who would like that insert on Craig's list too.

Sell it for $275 on craigslist and use the money to have it taken out.

BrotherBart said:

And in the Craig's List ad tell them they remove the the stove.... What a DEAL!!!!

Jim Walsh said:
BrotherBart said:

And in the Craig's List ad tell them they remove the the stove.... What a DEAL!!!!

I can see the ad now:
Free ash, you remove and haul.

BTW, I have free leaves in my yard and gutters if anyone is interested...

Agree w/BeGreen comments...6K is a lot of money for insert install, unless they are also installing the gas and gas lines in the house. Even at that, you would be served by getting a competitive quote for gas/line installation. I suspect you may find someone who would like that insert on Craig’s list too.

Thanks for all your comments - nice idea to sell the old insert on Craigs List.
I'm getting the mindosa dep timber insert, flat glass with bentley double arched doors
The price includes the labor to install the vents, gas & electric lines.

Should I get the chimney checked out for structural defects or do
you think the cap will prevent water leakage?

Cap will prevent water, but at that price they'd better be inspecting the chimney too! Still think you might want a second est. for gas install.

Status
Not open for further replies.