1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

remove firebricks to make room for rigid pipe or use flex adapter?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by rmcfall, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmcfall

rmcfall Feeling the Heat

I am trying to decide the best way to install a rigid liner in my masonry chimney... 1. Should I remove the firebricks from my fireplace and run rigid liner straight down into a tee, or 2. Should I leave the firebricks in place and run the rigid liner down into the throat of the chimney and use a piece of flex in between the rigid and the tee?

In my previous install I just took out all the firebricks. I can't think of a reason not to do this again, but thought I should ask the experts...

In terms of the stovepipe between the tee and the stove, is there anything wrong with using a slip connector in there?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Homefire

Homefire New Member

Do you ever intend to use the fireplace as an open burner again? That may be a good
    reason to keep the fire brick.
  3. rmcfall

rmcfall Feeling the Heat

Nope. And if we ever move, I probably won't be hauling the stove with me either. Good point though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.