Remove refractory cement from glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceNorEast

Aug 19, 2014
New England, USA
While we wait for the delivery and installation of our stove (one more week! It's a hearthstone Phoenix), we are left thinking about the blemishes we saw when we bought it (manufacturer was present with dealer having a tent sale on blemished and slightly used stoves, offering deep discounts).

The biggest reason it was discounted was that it had been fired by the manufacturer a few times (still looked new to me after inspecting it inside and out). The worst blemish was a spot of refractory cement that was on the inside of the doors viewing glass. Sorry, no pictures.

Anyone ever try to remove refractory cement from glass?

Last edited:
Hmmm...never had the need, but if I had to venture a guess - I would try it after a few real good fires. That should cure the cement (read: make it brittle). The glass can take a fair amount of abuse (its not really glass). Good luck.

i'd try a real sharp razor knife, the kind used for removing stickers from glass.

Hmmm...never had the need, but if I had to venture a guess - I would try it after a few real good fires. That should cure the cement (read: make it brittle). The glass can take a fair amount of abuse (its not really glass). Good luck.

HehHeh . . . Jags' solution to most problems seems to be "burn it." Mold on wood? Burn it. Cement on glass? Burn it.

For the record . . . I agree with him in this case . . . and the other case for that matter. I suspect once you have some hot fires it will reach the point where it should be able to come off.

Thanks guys. I looked into replacing it but at $200 or so for the glass and gasket, I'd probably just learn to ignore it. Nice to know just using it might help.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Status
Not open for further replies.