remove some of the firebrick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billz

Oct 9, 2008
Fountain Inn SC
is it ok to remove some of the firebrick below the damper to make room for the liner?

Attachments

• fp.jpg
    fp.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 312
I would say yes, as long as the fireplace is no longer used to burn wood without a woodstove insert or self standing unit. I have a wood stove without a fireplace so I wouldn't know as much as some of the other folks in the forum. Good luck

When the guy came to help put my liner in, he jack hammered abunch of fire brick out of mine. Said there would have been no way to bend the liner to the stove without takin some out. So I'd say do what you gotta do.

My Oslo heats my home said:
I would say yes, as long as the fireplace is no longer used to burn wood without a woodstove insert or self standing unit. I have a wood stove without a fireplace so I wouldn't know as much as some of the other folks in the forum. Good luck

open fireplaces are worthless. unless you build a fire on an 80 degree day. so I don't plan on ever going without an insert.

if I take two brick out of the top row I'll have more than enough room. better than ovalizing the pipe if you ask me.

When you modify the throat of the fireplace, like many liner instructions mention doing, you usually secure a little plaque to the rear of the firebox indicating that the fireplace is no longer suitable for use as an open fireplace. Weird technicality, but an indicator that what you are doing is done all the time, and needs to be done sometimes in order to get the stove to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.