Q&A Remove Stove pipe without damaging it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I was wondering if you could giving me any suggestions on how to remove a Franklin Stove pipe? could you refer me to any sites or just anything that could help would be useful. The problem is in my basement there is a pipe that sticks out of the wall and leads to the outside into a similar thing like a chimney. i am curious about how to remove the pipe without damaging the rest of the system. please e-mail me back with a response even if it is a referral to a company or a web site.

Answer:

The interior pipe is typically a different material than the outdoor chimney. THe chimney usually sticks into the room about 9 inches or less. Interior black stovepipe is typically put together with screws and/or furnace cement. It can be difficult to pull apart. I usually remove the screws and then use my hands to pound on the joints and loosen up the furnace cement. You might be able to pull it apart by lifting the pipe off the stove flange or out of the stove pipe elbow. Some basic words of advice: If you cannot easily remove the pipe,it may be an indication that you should have a chimney sweep or other pro service the stove and chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.