removing a built in mfg fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skidozer

Mar 11, 2010
western ny
Help Im most likely in wrong forum.

I am removing a built in manufactured fireplace from my home to install my new pellett insert.

I dont have alot of acess above the fireplace insert.

My question is how do I get the stovepipe off? I tried prying on it and it wont budge.
I pretty much would like to remove all the pipe and cover the top of the framed in chimmney as I will no longer need it.
I would also not want to damage the inside wall of my house.

Thanks

Pictures of what your narrating would be beneficial, I know my insert is flex connected so the whole assembly can be wiggled out a bit to access the connection.

can I assume that you have a class A (multi-wall stainless) chimney running up a wooden chase? If so, there's probably a couple of straps wrapped around the pipe at different heights to support the chimney. You may have to loosen the straps to move the pipe. If there a lot of pipe, it could just be heavy-ish and difficult to move.

skidozer said:
Help Im most likely in wrong forum.

I am removing a built in manufactured fireplace from my home to install my new pellett insert.

I dont have alot of acess above the fireplace insert.

My question is how do I get the stovepipe off? I tried prying on it and it wont budge.
I pretty much would like to remove all the pipe and cover the top of the framed in chimmney as I will no longer need it.
I would also not want to damage the inside wall of my house.

Thanks
So you want to vent straight out the wall? I have a freestanding pellet stove that sits in front of my prefab fireplace and it vents up (25 feet) the original 8" flue with 4" flex liner. You might want to consider utilizing that existing flue rather than blocking it off because you'll get better draft.

yes its in a wooden chase the pipe and the prefab fireplace. it has triple wall pipe on top of fireplace no flex pipe.

I will try to get a few photos after work tonight.

I don't have much room to look for straps only a 4" gap between wall and top of unit.

The chase is finished with wall board so they couldn't have installed the pipe before it was closed in.
I want it out it is ugly, the old tile was ugly, it never burned if the window wasn't open. I had propane logs in it but thats too expensive now.

Im changing everything and venting out the back. I will be installing a new hearth surround etc.

I can't wait to hook a chain to it and tow it around the yard with my truck.

skidozer said:
yes its in a wooden chase the pipe and the prefab fireplace. it has triple wall pipe on top of fireplace no flex pipe.

I will try to get a few photos after work tonight.

I don't have much room to look for straps only a 4" gap between wall and top of unit.

The chase is finished with wall board so they couldn't have installed the pipe before it was closed in.
I want it out ist ugly the old tile was ugly it never burned if the window wasn't open. I had propane logs in it but thats too expensive now.

Im changing everything and venting out the back. I will be installing a new hearth surround etc.

[del]I can't wait to hooh a chain to it and tow it around the yard with my truck[/del].

I definitely want to see pictures of that! maybe video!

I will get a video of droping it off my deck 10 feet then with the truck,

I got the fireplace out. had a couple xtra screw in the back I couldnt see.
Lifted the pipe out from roof and that no good bugger is out.

They didnt have the pipe sealed very well the floor has some rot and mold to remove.

Now get to work on installing my pellet insert and refacing the surrond and new hearth.
Im looking forward to that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.