removing a flex chinmey liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toonces

Nov 7, 2011
Farmington Valley, CT
i'm planning in installing a stove when prices drop and was wondering if the drop-in, flex-type liners are removable and reuseable. i live in a rental and am on a budget, so if i can take the liner with me when i move, that'd be great. if not, it won't be a dealbreaker. anybody try this before?

You. Can but just check for damage and inspect it before you reinstall it.

You live in a rental, you should not even be considering wood heat or changing anything within the unit to that extent period. The owner wont be covered if/when your stove burns his house.

Osburning said:
You live in a rental, you should not even be considering wood heat or changing anything within the unit to that extent period. The owner wont be covered if/when your stove burns his house.
interesting point. maybe my landlord/house owner didn't consult with his insurance company, but he's given me the green light on a stove install. said he'd just add it to the lease. he and my neighbors have also told me a previous tenant was running a stove prior to us moving in and yet another tenant would have fires in the fireplace. i'll have to get details from him on how it can be installed (me or pro), and what type(s) of units can be used. my insurance carrier for rental didn't have a problem either but why should they since they're only insuring my property.

What do you mean by "add it to the lease"? I think the easiest solution is try and get the landlord to knock the price of the liner off your rent. Or split the cost with him and just take the stove when you go. Don't see a reason they cant be removed but you do risk damage. I would think that if its in a ceramic flue it should pull out pretty easy.

rwhite said:
What do you mean by "add it to the lease"? I think the easiest solution is try and get the landlord to knock the price of the liner off your rent. Or split the cost with him and just take the stove when you go. Don't see a reason they cant be removed but you do risk damage. I would think that if its in a ceramic flue it should pull out pretty easy.
so his reply was that his insurance company just needs to see 'certification of installation' which he says is the inspector signing off on the install. if i have to have it installed pro, i may have to reconsider as it will probably double or triple the cost of the whole deal. plus, he's told me once i install a liner, it's his and it stays. stove is mine or he will negotiate to purchase it from me. i'm OK with that if we live here for at least 2-3 more years; i've done the numbers and we'll come ahead on the cost over oil for a year well within a year in ideal conditions, but more likely within 2 years (of course based on a self install). i'll pitch the idea of splitting the liner cost as an 'improvement' to the house.

since i live in CT, i will ask some insurance people i know what is common for this situation. i take it not many people on this forum are like me and rent.

Gonna depend on the flue size and it overall route. I have 12 x 12 id clay flue liner, pulled it this past fall, cleaned, insulated and shoved back down.

Can it be done, yes kinda a pain but i see your point. If and should you wtap and insulate youll tear that up but dependa on the brand, some offer ss liner insulated with an aluminum sheath. Probably could take more abuse.

At least your thinking smart by running a liner, but if you plan on a stove, get your wood for next year now.

Status
Not open for further replies.