Removing a stuck pellet stove cleanout cap with tools that work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Anyone else have this problem sometimes?

Some caps are much easier to remove than others since they vary in type but quality as well.

The common Duravent caps must be turned counterclockwise before it can be pulled off and sometimes that is the most difficult part to do!

I tried using an oil filter wrench which sounded like a good idea but in reality, I had absolutely no luck with it!

So a friend who is an HVAC man by trade got a really stuck cap off with very large gas pliers! ISeeing it work is believing! I also found these vise grip oil wrench pliers that work.

Of course I have found that spraying PB Blaster into the seam makes a huge difference and going back an forth until you can move it fully counterclockwise does help too.

Before putting the cap back on, some "Dry Moly Spray" can make the job easier in the future.

I prefer a Selkirk Vacuum Cleanout that can be a little quicker and easier in the long run.

Click pics to Enlarge:

Attachments

• CleanoutCap.jpg
    CleanoutCap.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 425
  • CleanoutCapWrench.JPG
    CleanoutCapWrench.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 411
  • PBblaster.jpg
    PBblaster.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 372
  • DryMolyLube.jpg
    DryMolyLube.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 300
  • VacuumCleanout2.jpg
    VacuumCleanout2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 331
  • VacuumCleanout1.jpg
    VacuumCleanout1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 371
  • VacuumCleanout3.jpg
    VacuumCleanout3.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 306
I havnt had a problem removing the duravent caps yet. Granted its the first season for me and i probably have been removing them much more often than anyone else does. I also have not sealed the cap or taped it yet.
I did find a strap wrench usefull when i had to pull the pipes apart to seal them better.

My favorite. A little dab will do

Attachments

• DSCN0621.JPG
    DSCN0621.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 346
Hello

I had a good test today. I had to add more pipe to some pellet vent to bring it above the roof line.

To connect to the existing pipe I had to remove a piece that looked easy but it was RTVed and really tough!

So I pulled out the 3" Vise Grip Wrench and Voila! Also no damage!
See pics, click to enlarge:

Attachments

• CleanoutViseGripWrench (1).JPG
    CleanoutViseGripWrench (1).JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 357
  • CleanoutViseGripWrench (2).JPG
    CleanoutViseGripWrench (2).JPG
    86 KB · Views: 357
I drilled a hole in the end and added a big eyelet with some washers and lockouts and sealed with high temp rtv. This gives me a solid grip for vice grips without damaging the cap. The antiseize does wonders too.

Status
Not open for further replies.