Removing a TARM 502 duel fuel from basement--help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kshultz

Apr 19, 2008
Southern NH
Hi there, I'm new to this forum. A great place to be, I have really enjoyed all the great information here.
I have an opportunity to obtain a great condition TARM 502 from a neighbor, but it is in his basement. The measurements are tight, there is enough room. The unit will be going out his basement bulkhead (cement steps). My thought was to have the protective jacket removed (I would reduce the height by 3"), and have the entire unit cleaned before the move. Do any of us here know someone in Souther NH (Barrington, LEE) area that might be able to help perform this task? Also, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I think it is worth it, I want to go over to the wood furnace, but do not have the funds to purchase a new one. Any hep would be great.

Remove doors, controls, and jacket. Use lengths of steel pipe to roll it (3 is ideal) - maybe 1" pipe.

It has a balanced lifting hook on top. Get someone with either a boom truck of sorts or a coffin-type truck (we used one with an I-Beam on top and manual chain hoist) and hoist it up.

MAIN THING - do not place yourself in dangerous positions - such as between the boiler and the floor, etc. - Take your time.

Many times the person with such a truck (even a local small wrecker) will be a decent "rigger".

I just moved a 1200 lb tarm 40 into my basement through a bulkhead. For all of the horizontal movement I used 2 1/2 foot long segment of pressure treated fence posts as rollers. I had 6 of them and as I moved the boiler and one one of the rollers was freed up I would move it to the front (kind of like the Egyptians moved the pyramid stones). To turn a corner I used a long steel pole as a pry bar. I would stick the pole in the several inches gap between the tarm and the floor and pull it up, which would move that corner of the tarm an inch or two at a time.

To get down the stairs I use some 2 by 10s to make a ramp. To prevent to Tarm from flying down the ramp I attached a come-along from the unit to a tree outside of my bulkhead, then notched it down slowly.

Hi, I just registered and live in Lee. I am an Excavation contractor and I have Excavators, backhoe, skid steer, which I used to remove the Tasso boiler I am currently installing in my house. PM me if you still need assistance.

bigbobs said:
Hi, I just registered and live in Lee. I am an Excavation contractor and I have Excavators, backhoe, skid steer, which I used to remove the Tasso boiler I am currently installing in my house. PM me if you still need assistance.

See al the helpful people that keep showing up here?

Chris

Another idea if you do not want to do it yourself would be to hire an industrial machine moving company to do the job. They have all the equipment , knowledge and insurance to do the work.

I hired a machine moving company to get my Tarm down the basement stairs. I thought it was worth paying for professional help and keeping me and my friends alive. I did get under the open wooden stairs and reenforce them per the moving company's suggestions.

I used those 4 wheel wooden dollies that they sell at home depot to move a 1500 pound similar shaped item. I jacked it up and put one on each end it worked well and held the weight no problem. Just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.