Removing a zc to install a new gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newguy09

Jan 5, 2009
Central IN
We were initially looking at an insert but after the fireplace people came and looked at our current unit they didn't think an insert would fit in it without significantly modfying the existing unit and they were unwilling to do so. Instead they recommended removing the zc unit all together and installing a fireplace instead of an insert.

The unit they are recommending is the Napoleon gd36. It is 26000 btu unit and they said the larger glass face would let off more radiant heat than the tiny glass of an insert. The downstairs area is 1500 sf and we are mostly concerned with heating the room the fireplace is in which is 26x16 with 10 foot ceilings.

They are proposing to remove the old unit from the rear by popping off the vinyl siding and going in from behind. They will also remove the old vent pipe and cap off the chimney/chase. They will then install the new unit (with blower, remote, and surround to fit opening cleanly) and exhaust it straight out of the back of the chase with a siding standoff (not sure that's the right word) and finally reinstall the insulation/siding.

So does this unit sound like it will be good for our needs? Does the price sound reasonable? How about the work they are proposing?

Edit to add price: $3800 installed

Last edited:
26K BTU is pretty small. The output will be around 20K. I suppose if you've got a well insulated home it'll do. The work is the way I've done it in the past.
It'll take two men a full 8 hours to do the job. Make sure they put an insulated deck ABOVE the unit & that the walls below that deck are insulated up to or past it.
You didn't specify the price...

Sorry. Price for everything and installation was $3800. We were looking at 3400 for a smaller insert installed.

According to owners manual Online , btu output of up 22880.

The brick hearth opening size with the old unit removed is 39.5wide and 33.75 high. Is there a higher btu unit that might be similar in price that would fit?

Last edited:
The brick opening is only the viewing area. in order to determine what other units WILL fit in the cavity, we need to know what unit IS in the cavity now. That will tell us the height, width & depth. As far as being comparable in price, a larger unit will probably cost more, but you only want to do this kind of tear-out ONCE. Might as well put in the best one you can afford.

That is a fairly large unit.

http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/28324.pdf

I realize that you are not made of money - like the rest of us - but I think I'd try to go with the highest BTU (output) unit (READ: HEATER)
that I could. A 40K BTU input unit like the Heat & Glo 6000 CLX or something in that size range. With a large unit, you can turn the heat down if it's too much. With a small unit, you can only get so much heat from it, & if you're still cold, you'll have to wrap yourself in a blanket or put a sweater on. It's your call, of course & my opinion can be moot.

Reactions: Ironhorse74
Thanks for the feedback. I'm just confused because the btu calculators I find online including on this website says 26k is plenty. I'm not saying you are wrong, I have no idea, just trying to future this out and not be disappointed later. So what are the calculator missing? Thanks

That may be a general heating calculator with the assumption that the BTUs will be evenly distributed throughout the room. Just think if you took a 50,000BTU propane torch and ran it for an hour. Would the room heat up? No. But distribute those BTUs along a wall length baseboard and you'll roast.

I think you're on the right track with getting rid of that existing unit. Now you just have to go bigger, as Daksy suggested. It may add $1-1.5k in cost but otherwise you'll be paying $3800 for ambiance if you're more than 10ft away from the fireplace.

Reactions: DAKSY
I think that's a heat output you'll be happier with. Does it have a blower? Do you want / does it come with a remote?

Can't comment on that specific model though.

Yes the price included a blower and a thermostat remote. Same install as the other unit. Remove siding and pull the old one out the rear. Vent the new one out of the back of the chase and cap off the chase at the top. Total was 4600 with taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.