removing baffle to clean Morso insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newatthis

Aug 28, 2014
Charlottesville, VA
I'm interested in getting a Soot-Eater to clean my own chimneys, but I don't know how hard it would be to clean the Morso 5660 from below. I thought I would be able to find a video showing how to take off the baffles, but haven't found anything so far. We will be getting a metal roof soon, and I don't know how dangerous it would be to tackle this from above. Any instructions or suggestions here? I've gone from "no way would I do it, I'm hiring a professional" to thinking maybe I could DIY.

This is right out of the Morso 5660 manual:

Baffle plate/secondary air supply
The baffle plate is mounted with four M8 bolts.
The baffle plate is heavy (30lbs.) therefore, it is
difficult to hold it in place over the four threaded
holes.
For this reason, two guide bolts without heads are
included to facilitate the positioning.
1. The outermost bolts in each side should be
removed.
2. The two guide bolts are now screwed into each
of the outermost holes so that the heads are
barely visible (this is necessary for the final
removal of the baffle plate).
3. Next, remove the two center bolts. The baffle
plate is now resting only on the two guide bolts.
4. Carefully slide the baffle plate off the guide
bolts and remove from the combustion
chamber.

Reactions: newatthis
OK, I'm answering my own question for the archives. After talking to the store that sold me the stove, and looking over the manual with the sales rep, he was able to figure it out. I did not get the guide bolts in my Morso bag when it was installed (I only know that because I photographed the contents of the bag when I was trying to figure out what the rope gasket was, in another post.) The store contacted Morso, which mailed the headless guide bolts directly to me. Now that (blurry) photo in the manual makes more sense. One of the guide bolts is sticking out of the hole in the picture in the manual, but it was very unclear. The guide bolts are only used temporarily to take out and put in the baffle. A picture of the guide bolts they sent me is below. I am very pleased to understand this, and have my bolts for the next big clean, which I'm planning to do myself. This post is for the next befuddled Morso user, in perpetuity.

P1060138.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like 2 short pieces of all-thread. Do they have a slot or something in the end or do you just put them in finger tight?

I tried to photograph the screw end on, but it was out of focus. They are hex-keyed on the end.

Sounds like a nice system once you get the hang of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.