Removing creosote by reverse chimney fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Burnitall

Feb 13, 2024
Barkhamsted ct
Is it possible to start a fire at the top of the flute and burn the creosote off from the top down? Restrict the air from below so the chimney fire burns down the flute pipe slowly? The first year we had the stove I had unseasoned wood and, now I know my mistake, have a small glazy waxy tar like layer of brisket smelling creosote on the inside of my flute pipe. I cant seem to remove it with the cleaning apparatus

Is it possible to start a fire at the top of the flute and burn the creosote off from the top down? Restrict the air from below so the chimney fire burns down the flute pipe slowly? The first year we had the stove I had unseasoned wood and, now I know my mistake, have a small glazy waxy tar like layer of brisket smelling creosote on the inside of my flute pipe. I cant seem to remove it with the cleaning apparatus
Possible yes. Safe no.

I would not intentionally try to start a chimney fire no matter the reason. Just too many ways for it to go wrong. There are other ways to remove creosote that won't burn down your house, like chemicals or steel cables/chains.

I removed the baffle, increasing the flue temperatures and therefore the creosote became easy to clean, but consider whether you can do it

I removed the baffle, increasing the flue temperatures and therefore the creosote became easy to clean, but consider whether you can do it
That will almost certainly lead to a chimney fire ....

Sound like something that those CSL logs would help with, but if it's a cat stove I don't think you should use them, maybe take the cat out and burn one.

That will almost certainly lead to a chimney fire ....
it's a possibility but quite remote, if it has already been cleaned, the hard, non-removable creosote should be located not too close to the stove, it should just heat up to the point of becoming more brittle, However, as already said, it needs to be evaluated

Also not a good idea

Sound like something that those CSL logs would help with, but if it's a cat stove I don't think you should use them, maybe take the cat out and burn one.
I never gave much credit to the CSL logs until a few weeks back. I was enjoying the evening with a Brother sitting in front of his old Round Oak stove. It's in his shop with about 15ft of single wall to the roof and 6ft of class A out the top. He said he burned a CSL the week before and when he went up to clean and there was pretty much nothing in the stack. The CAT angle would need to be researched for sure.