Removing Fire Bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don H

Feeling the Heat
Aug 19, 2015
Maryland
Picked up a Papa Bear today and it needs several bricks replaced. I believe the bottom bricks come out first, followed by the side and then back bricks. However these bricks seem to be in very tight.

Anyone have any tips on how to remove them?
What tools to use?
Where to start (front or back)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You pretty much have to destroy one with a hammer and chisel to get it started then a pry bar and hammer will get the rest out. You will probably end up having to replace most of them so I would just get all new ones.

Some photos of the Papa Bear.

Attachments

• Door.JPG
    Door.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 483
  • Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 484
  • Side.JPG
    Side.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 445
  • Inside.JPG
    Inside.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 576
Pulled the fire bricks today and didn't break any. Five were broke before I started including one that will need to be cut.

To start I used two stiff 1" wide putty knives. I worked a little each from opposite sides of a bottom brick, it didn't take long before the first full sized row of bricks were out. After that I used a flat bar and a rubber mallet, tapping and prying until the brick popped out. What I found was helpful was tapping down on one brick while prying up on the one next to it.

I think that the bricks will go back easier since there isn't any ash packed behind and between them wedging them tightly in place.

To start I used two stiff 1" wide putty knives. I worked a little each from opposite sides of a bottom brick, it didn't take long before the first full sized row of bricks were out. After that I used a flat bar and a rubber mallet, tapping and prying until the brick popped out. What I found was helpful was tapping down on one brick while prying up on the one next to it.
Wow I have never gotten them out on stoves like yours without having to break the first one. good job. and yes the new ones go back in much easier.

Wow I have never gotten them out on stoves like yours without having to break the first one. good job. and yes the new ones go back in much easier.

Thanks! Next job is to clean the creosote out of the firebox and then flip it over to paint the bottom. I can see some writing in weld but can't quite read it upside down. I'm interested in seeing where it was made and when.

Finished painting the body of the Papa Bear yesterday. On the bottom I found written in weld "P - 9 - 16". Since the stove was originally purchased near PA I'm assuming it is a PA made stove. Does anyone know what the code means?

Status
Not open for further replies.