Removing fireplace backing bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonNeutral

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2009
Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
I am trying to decide which insert to put into my fireplace. One of my problems are the bricks that line my existing fireplace - see picture. At the bottom, my clearance to the front is 18", but that is radically reduced as the bricks curve in towards the top of the fireplace. We will be in this house for at least another 15 years so I have no problems destroying this as its use as a fireplace. Can these bricks be removed? What are their typical dimensions? (thickness)

P1040828.JPG

Trying again with the pic.

Attachments

• P1040828.JPG
    P1040828.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 220
only the second pic is up for me...

do you mean, can the bricks under the damper/ smoke shelf be removed? to give vertical room for liner etc
yes, they are not structural

have a local company (or two!!) come out to give some quotes, they can tell you more.....

Yes, the white bricks, not the red ones. I need the extra depth that will give me.

Status
Not open for further replies.