Removing hearth on existing Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnu

Dec 1, 2006
I am about ready to remove just the hearth so thought I would ask for some help. The current hearth is 12" high, 16" deep and 6 Ft long. The fireplace is a heatolator type built in 1966. Looking through what I assume is an air intake grate on the side of the hearth I see some grey cinder-block and an air space. It is faced with the old red Roman brick. I want to remove hearth to get a nicer looking set up and to accommodate a wood stove that will set closer to the floor. Currently has an old insert but we've pretty much ruled out another insert(which means that's probably what we'll end up getting :lol: ) Also don't think we want to put a free standing stove into the fireplace and vent up - and not sure if there is enough room( I have not measured inside of fireplace) A recent thread stated that the steel stoves do not rear vent. So I don't think I can consider something like the PE as the top of the fireplace opening is 36 inches off the floor. If correct then I can only go with cast iron. We are remodeling and putting in a wood floor so I will need to put in a hearth that meets code. Hope this in not getting too confusing but I know many of you will help me refine my question as you provide assistance.
I guess I want to know:
if it's just a straight forward removal or if I'm in for more unknowns.
do I have the correct info on what type of stove I can put use

I'll stop here and try to provide more info as needed.

bcnu said:
Currently has an old insert but we've pretty much ruled out another insert(which means that's probably what we'll end up getting :lol: )

Yup, sounds like another PE insert on its way :)

Everything sounds OK, you can surely remove some of the hearth as long as the end result matches what your stove calls for.

Maybe you should build in a couple sheets of wonderboard into the new heart setup. That will assure that the final assembly will be up to code.

There are some steel stoves that vent out the rear - and many of all types that will fit under a lintel which is 29" or more high.

You also may want to build the hearth out further into the wood floor - because whatever stove you get is bound to come out of the fireplace at least some. The best course of action is to choose the stove before you finish the hearth.

Webmaster said:
The best course of action is to choose the stove before you finish the hearth.

That is a fact! Plan and research what you want , buy the stove, then build up hearth as needed using the installation instructions supplied with stove as to the dimensions needed for the stoves hearth and clearance to combustibles from the stove to insure a safe UL stove install. You can download the owners/installation manual for almost any stove you want at the manufacturers wed sites. Reading them before you buy a stove will help decide which stove will fit and buy.

This was my solution to a fire place install
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3106/

bcnu said:
Driftwood,
your set up is so great that I think my thread is done :lol: How much of your stove actually sits inside the fireplace?

I'll do more homework on the stove I really want and will definitely go on line to look at more spec sheets. I like the fact that your fireplace is at floor level and I wonder about lowering the floor of my fireplace. No idea what's under the raised fireplace floor. There is a basement underneath and the chimney shares a flue with an oil furnace.
I wanted to visit the local PE dealer but then decided a top vent would not work for me. So I'll still look into it - maybe even...no not that color. And I was sure in a recent discussion someone posted that no steel stoves rear vent.

The stoves rear legs are about 2 inches outside the fireplace. So no stove is in the fireplace. I would have made the hearth flush even with the floor boards but a old hearth stopped that idea. Another thing over do the R rating on the hearth if you can, in case you want to change stoves.

The PE Summit Classic with legs is around twenty-eight inches to the top of the flue collar so you have more than enough clearance to install it. I put a 28 inch high free standing, top vent stove into a 31 inch high fireplace and it is fine. I would have loved to had the extra five inches of space that you have, of course.

BrotherBart
thanks for the info. Maybe I'm missing something in my thinking of how to top vent into my fireplace. If I remove the hearth I still have a 12" solid facing in front of the opening. So I can't slide stove any distance into the opening. That's why I wonder about removing the floor of fireplace to lower it. I like what I've read about the PE's.

Stop right there this forum has used up the quota for PE stove membership this year.

Did you know PE is one of the few manufactures having an ok year while others are holding inventory?

Roo they gota be paying you or atleast send you on vacation on them. What can I say a quality stove from a quality manufacturer.

do you have any idea the amount of stove purchases you my have influenced? And to think he is doing all on one split a day?

Hey Stoveguy you have to get your stoves in the homes of other infuencial posters, to even have a chance of competition.

BB can't go it alone.

Elk, we're still leaning toward the Jotul, so don't give up hope. PE sounds like a very good stove but not sure it has as much character as the Jotul (that should spark some "discussion")

Status
Not open for further replies.