Removing legs Jotul 602

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattg1970

Apr 14, 2007
I am trying to remove the legs on my old 602 and the bolts that screw in to the stove from the bottom upwards are frozen. I tried PB blaster for three days spraying them three times a day but two of the bolts wont budge. The screw heads are regular screwdriver head not Philipshead. I don't want to mangle the slots any worse than they already are. Any sugestions would be great.
Thanks
Matt

I have had good luck getting screws out of cast iron by putting a screwdriver into the slot in the head and then smacking it a few times with a hammer. You are trying to get the screw to let go of the metal in the threads.

Start off with tapping it.

Follow BB's method. But ff the slot is too damaged, after tapping to break loose the threads, clamp on it with a small vise grip and try to move it. Tapping works here too.

If the head breaks off, then you'll need to drill and tap it out. This is not as bad as it sounds. I broke several when rebuilding our 602. Took only about 5 minutes per bolt to drill and re-tap.

If the heads are buggered up, you might be able to use a large bit to drill just through the head - then remove the legs and you will have enough of the screw threads showing to get a vise grip on it from the side. Tap on the grips or screws as you try to turn counterclockwise.

Heating with a little torch might also help.

Status
Not open for further replies.