Removing old sink from countertop Q

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
I have new countertops to install in my kitchen, but was planning on reusing the stainless steel sink and the faucets, etc.. However, the glue/silicone/putty or whatever is around the sink rim and the countertop is pretty strong... I removed all the clips holding the sink to the countertop, disconnected the drain and tried to see if I can push up from the bottom and I'm pushing the entire countertop up. Is there a good trick to remove whatever adhesive is stuck in there? I tried a razor blade around the outside but not getting far!

Is it worth it to try to remove the old sink and if so, any tips?

Jay

Eh, I went ahead and bought a new sink, I think it would be a PITA to try to salvage the old one and I bought a same-size stainless steel sink that is 2" deeper than the existing one.. Turned out though that my cold water valve is busted, wouldn't shut off so I had to shut off the main and buy a new 1/2" sweat fitting and do some more soldering.. All is well now though I have to figure out how to get off the old faucets... Seems like it isn't simply screwed in like new ones would be..

Jay

I've used a knife, but it appears you went with plan B.

Afternoon projects can turn into weekend nightmares real quick.
Nice that stores are open on Sundays sometimes. :)

Jay H said:
All is well now though I have to figure out how to get off the old faucets... Seems like it isn't simply screwed in like new ones would be..

Jay
If it's the 2 knob and 1 faucet design, there should be a nut under each inlet on under hot and one under cold.
That should be it but they prolly siliconed that in place too

RETIRED GVA said:
Jay H said:
All is well now though I have to figure out how to get off the old faucets... Seems like it isn't simply screwed in like new ones would be..

Jay
If it's the 2 knob and 1 faucet design, there should be a nut under each inlet on under hot and one under cold.
That should be it but they prolly siliconed that in place too

two knob faucet with the hand squirter thing. Underneath, there isn't any nuts that I could see so I removed the center screw on each hot/cold handle and found the nut underneath that I took off. So the hot/cold tap should be fine, it should clear the hole and allow me to pull the diverter down under the sink. However, the center faucet has to be removed for it to go... However, I tried to wrench the base of the faucet and it's so tight it's not budging... There is nothing underneath the center faucet to keep the faucet down... maybe I just need to unscrew the faucet itself...

Jay

I helped my parents with this awhile ago. It took me pushing from the bottom, my dad using a pry bar, and my mom holding the countertop down. Totally trashed the countertop, we just wanted the sink out so it would be easier to get everything out. That glue/caulk is amazing stuff. lol

Yeah, my guess is that it's some kind of plumbers putty that really got hardened over the years. I'm guessing that the cabinets and countertops are vintage 1984 or so, so I can assume the sink is probably the same vintage. It's stainless steel and was still in pretty good shape. Which was my idea of reusing it..

I just bought new faucets and was recommended not to use putting in the drain and to just use silicone around the sink top.

Jay

Jay H said:
Yeah, my guess is that it's some kind of plumbers putty that really got hardened over the years. I'm guessing that the cabinets and countertops are vintage 1984 or so, so I can assume the sink is probably the same vintage. It's stainless steel and was still in pretty good shape. Which was my idea of reusing it..

I just bought new faucets and was recommended not to use putting in the drain and to just use silicone around the sink top.

Jay
Plumbers putty doesn't adhear to anything. It just get hard and crumbles. Someone probably used construction adhesive... liquid nails. I have seen this, If so you would have ruined the sink anyway. I have changed out allot of sinks in the last 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.