Removing old VC gasket cement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emory

May 30, 2007
Milton, NH
So I decided to replace my old VC Vigilant that came with our house with a VC Defiant (I or II). Everything in the stove looked great when I purchased it as it was recently rebuilt. However, I gave it the good old light test and I have some leaks around the doors. Specifically at the top and bottom where the two doors meet. I took the doors off and removed the gaskets, which didn't appear to be in that terrible of shape, and dry fitted in the new gaskets and the light leaks appear to be very minimal. The main thing I noticed is that the gasket cement is very uneven leading to a gasket that isn't 100% flush, which I think is causing the light leaks. I tried chipping away at this cement but it is quite difficult to remove.

My two questions from this little project are:

Is it possible/necessary to get these seals 100% leak proof?
Is there an easy way to get the old gasket cement off?

It is not really possible, nor that important, to get a 100% tight seal - there is often a tiny light hole where double doors meet.

No easy way on the cement - wetting it might help, but otherwise chipping off with an old screwdriver - BB (member) suggest a wire brush on a drill (outside, with goggles).

Thanks, I was thinking some dremel action might be needed.

emory said:
Thanks, I was thinking some dremel action might be needed.

dremel wire brush attachment should work. I had the same problem. I just found out most people (so it seems) are now using straight silicone instead for sealing gaskets, I will do that next time, so much easier to remove in the future and probably gives a better seal too.

Dremels work but you eat up a fortune in those little wheels fast. A regular one for a drill is a couple of bucks and doesn't even look used after you clean a channel.

And you will need it for that silicone too. Been there.

You see the majority of silicone in pellet stove doors. There are a few I can think of that used silicone (earthstove). Personally I'll take gasket cement anyday over silicone. The wire wheel is very effective especially with silicone. I personally liked how the gasket cement chips better making it easier to remove in the tight spots in my opinion.

Thanks for all the tips. I've got both doors and the griddle completely cleaned using the wire brush on my drill. Looks nice and clean too. That pneumatic tool looks great, if I were doing this more frequently I would grab one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.