Removing Raised Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frehley

May 5, 2008
NJ
I just wanted to preface this by stating I know pretty much nothing about fireplaces, so it is very likely I am using the wrong terminology. Hopefully I can get my question across clearly...
I have a wood burning fireplace with a brick surround and raised brick hearth. The fire box is pre-fab.
I would like to remove the raised hearth, and have a direct vent gas insert installed.
The main question I have is can the typical insert installer remove the hearth, or do I need a mason or other contractor? I thought about removing the hearth myself, but it appears (from looking in basement below) that the hearth is filled with concrete and rebar.

Status
Not open for further replies.