removing refractory panels in Englander 30-NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
I'm nearing the end on my stove install - I'll write up the chimney liner saga later.

The liner is pretty tight in the chimney, and I can't get a purchase on hit hugging the stove, so the next step seems to be to stick slightly more than 6" length of furring strip up in the collar to see if I can drag it down the inch or so I need.

But I need to pull the two refractory panels out from about the SS in the firebox. They seem to just be laying there, but they're attached somehow at the rear and I don't want to break anything in a stove I haven't even lit yet.

Any tips?

Thanks
Steve

They run a bead of silicon caulk or something similar along the back edge of the baffle boards to keep them from shifting during shipping. This burns off during the first fire or two, but you can probably burn it out of there with a propane torch. Then you can drop the secondary tubes and remove the baffle boards entirely, or just shift them so one is sitting atop the other. That doesn't give you a totally straight shot to the collar, but it's pretty darn close.

Thanks. There's my problem - no fire yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.