removing rust from Harman pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

victorian

Feb 14, 2009
western, ma
I think I've found my answer in other posts, but need to be sure....I have a Harmon Pellet, not yet used, in my living room. Had a smaller Thelin pot-belly parlor stove that was very pretty but didn't do much. The Harmon has been covered during room renovation and - yes, eww, - the cat got under the tarp and marked his territory. So now there's a light coating of rust in streaks across the side of the stove. I want to make sure what I use is right for this type of stove - safe, etc. - and it sounds like a product like naval jelly - the phosphoric acid base gel - might be best and then just about any paint meant for high heat surfaces...but it has to be something I can use indoors. Any other thoughts for products? By the way, first post for me, but I'm loving the website.

Heard cured cat hide works pretty good on that...

victorian said:
I think I've found my answer in other posts, but need to be sure....I have a Harmon Pellet, not yet used, in my living room. Had a smaller Thelin pot-belly parlor stove that was very pretty but didn't do much. The Harmon has been covered during room renovation and - yes, eww, - the cat got under the tarp and marked his territory. So now there's a light coating of rust in streaks across the side of the stove. I want to make sure what I use is right for this type of stove - safe, etc. - and it sounds like a product like naval jelly - the phosphoric acid base gel - might be best and then just about any paint meant for high heat surfaces...but it has to be something I can use indoors. Any other thoughts for products? By the way, first post for me, but I'm loving the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.