Removing throat pieces, Winter Warm Large Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ag-Hag

Nov 28, 2014
Salisbury, NC
I have a VC Winter Warm large insert. It was sitting outside for a couple of years and I fear the throat pieces that expose the cat have become rusted and unmovable. I've hit the pieces to dislodge them but no dice. I sprayed some penetrant and am waiting, but I'm not hopeful.

Any ideas on how I can remove them without harming the insert? I don't want to smack them too hard because I'm sure they'll break, and them I'll have to replace them.

Is there a rust dissolver that works good in situations like this?

Between the 2 throat pieces is a breastpiece. It has a 1/4-20 bolt through it, loosen it. It will most likely break, but that's ok, they are cheap. Just make sure to replace it with an identical one, including the square nut, otherwise the damper will hit it. Use a rubber mallet or a hammer and a block of wood to drive the throat pieces up. Hit them on the sides farthest from the breastpiece.

That being said, if you haven't installed it yet I'd skip it altogether! These things are a money pit. Parts are becoming obsolete too.

If you have a masonry fireplace, then almost any insert would easily take its place.

I havn't looked around in quite awhile. What would represent significant upgrades over the VC winter warm large? (it was top of the line back in it's day.)

I havn't looked around in quite awhile. What would represent significant upgrades over the VC winter warm large? (it was top of the line back in it's day.)
They are extremely complicated and full of vulnerable parts. The new stoves are so simple, most will never really need worked on. It's not uncommon for a winter warm to need $300-$700 in parts, that's if you do the work yourself.

Between the 2 throat pieces is a breastpiece. It has a 1/4-20 bolt through it, loosen it. It will most likely break, but that's ok, they are cheap. Just make sure to replace it with an identical one, including the square nut, otherwise the damper will hit it. Use a rubber mallet or a hammer and a block of wood to drive the throat pieces up. Hit them on the sides farthest from the breastpiece.

I just did this job a month ago, follow webby advise and it will come off, The trick is to remove the heavy thick base bottom it just sits in position. Pull it out towards you.
Once you take the base out then follow the instructions above.,
I used a small wrench on square nut at end but tapped lightly.

okay, got them out and replaced my cat. Old one was not bad. A little warped on one edge, but all the honeycombs looked fine. Replaced the thing anyway.

As I said in the beginning, this insert sat outside for 3-6 years, and its hard to know what all needs replacing/repairing. I've got a gasket kit for the door and damper. (Stripped the screws holding the glass in place. Any idea how to get them out?)

What other brands of inserts would be a better choice than this old WW Large?

okay, got them out and replaced my cat. Old one was not bad. A little warped on one edge, but all the honeycombs looked fine. Replaced the thing anyway.

As I said in the beginning, this insert sat outside for 3-6 years, and its hard to know what all needs replacing/repairing. I've got a gasket kit for the door and damper. (Stripped the screws holding the glass in place. Any idea how to get them out?)

Try plugging the power to fans in to see if the turn on? move the metal fan bar on left side back and forth it controls the speed. If that does not work you may just need to re-think and purchase something else.

There are so many inserts its hard to say what is the best or better choice. > Hearthstone Clydesdale or Sequoia Kuma or Majestic or Regency list goes on and on

I'm not trying to beat you up here, but any modern insert will be better in my opinion. I think most will agree. These things are dinosaurs, hard to work on and need lots of maintenance. And yours has been sitting outside!

Status
Not open for further replies.