Removing tile liner from a brick chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJFlores

Burning Hunk
Dec 22, 2013
NH
Im still debating on what to do with my chimney / liner situation. Where the stove enters the chimney, I can see some cracks on the tile directly across from the hole. I think it's time for an insulated stainless liner however, I need a 6" pipe and my flu in 7X11" with the clay liner. How aggressive is it to break out the clay liner? My main worry is, on the inside of where the chimney is I have a stone hearth going to the top of the cathedral ceiling room it's in, that the stove sits on. The last thing I want is some tool going down the chimney causing vibrations and possibly cracking the interior stone work. Am I worrying over nothing? I just don't know how they get that liner out of there. last restore I guess it could be left in there and they could install an oval liner. Any advise on just how aggressive it is getting clay liner out of a chimney? Would you just leave it in and go oval pipe? Except for the cracks right across the flu from where the wood stove connects, everything looks fine and has always been very clean. Thanks for your advise!

We would break out the liners if we were doing the job we have never had an issue with damaging anything other than an adjacent flue in a multi flue chimney. That being said it is not something i would recommend as a diy project it takes specialty tools and experience to do it without damaging anything other than the clay tiles that is.

Removal would give the best space for a proper 6" insulated install. You could consider a 5.5 inch liner assuming that you are dealing with a tall enough interior chimney that would generate sufficient draft. The other option is a non-round liner. Could ovalize a 6" round, or purchase some of the other rectangular systems on the market that would fit, and will adapt top a 6" collar at the stove.

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.