removing VC stove pipe from stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
How do I dsconnect my Dutchwest stove pipe from the stove to inspect/clean the back of the stove? I can't seem to get enough movement between the pipes.
Thanks!

Without seeing it, most likely disconnect at the chimney entrance and work backwards. Look for screws or something holding it. It may just be "stuck" with creosote and buildup.

I removed the screws up to the 45 but I can't get them to slide up or down. I didn't think creaosote would build up that close to the stove (top outside barely had any).
Should I remove the collar or will I get myself in trouble going there? I know I have to catch the nuts from the inside.

Sometimes you can work with two and have one person loosen while the other catches. Removing the collar can lead to having to re-gasket; but then someone put it on there in the first place.

Move it easily to see if it is obvious where it is binding.

Swestall,

Nice to see you back!

If you dont remove the collar, how can you get the vaccuum in there to get the buildup they mention in the manual? Just asking as Im cleaning this thing next weekend for the first time. I thought my only option was to remove the collar assy??? Maybe we're not talking about the same part....

D

The collar has to be removed in order to properly clean the back. Be careful with the vacuum hose as you're cleaning in there.. these parts are fragile.

Status
Not open for further replies.