Removing wood stove... Now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevlh27

Jan 23, 2015
Lexington, SC
I live in South Carolina and i have this strange contraption that you northerners call a "wood stove" haha There are some around here but definitely not like up north. Anyways, I am remodeling the home and want to remove it. There is a brick chimney that the flue connects to. Im weighing my options. Just patch the drywall and not have anything? Could I build a brick fireplace? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2264.JPG
    IMG_2264.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 161
Normally a plug cap is put in the pipe. Covering up would mean that if someone else wanted to hook up a stove they would not know there was a thimble there. It's very unlikely that a fireplace could be connected or work with this setup. Fireplaces require base support for the weight and a larger throat chimney.

Is there any way I could do a gas fireplace? I've been renovating the entire house. Though I am not a contractor If it could be done I could probably do it. Thanks!

A gas fireplace could likely be vented through the same chimney with a proper liner but you would need to research code and manufacturer requirements.

However, if you're looking mainly for ambiance, you may want to consider replacing with a modern wood stove. There are plenty of options out there with large glass fronts that rival a traditional fireplace and can still be used to provide additional heat. Might be worth taking a look at Englander, Hearthstone, Enerzone, and/or Quadrafire. The Englander stoves are relatively inexpensive but extremely well built. IMO, an Englander 17-VL would look pretty nice in that space...

If you are dead set on getting rid of it all together, just get a plug cap and hang a picture over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.