Removing wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackd625

Jan 9, 2014
So here's my second thread. First was about the operational stove we want to use.

This one was listed as non-working and decoration only (easy way to sell the house without dealing with the stove). This is in the basement, aka in my mind, mancave.

As much as I like the stove and want to use it. I'm a reef aquarium junkie. That's my 25g from my apt in the pictures next to the stove right now. The way the room works I need the space where the stove is for my huge tank. I'm going either 90-125 gallons. Maybe bigger.

Anyways, what I need to know. Once I remove the stove and pipes. How do I cover the hole into the chimney? I can't imagine it's too hard. Is there a simple plug for the time being? Eventually I'll either repair the time or rip them all down and dry wall, so I need to know the proper way to cover the hole if I can do it myself. Is there some type of mortar or something?

Here's the stove. Disregard the mess on it haha. Idea would be to cap it or something and put the matching tile there

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390112912.399468.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390112927.983708.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390112943.278039.jpg

temporary - stuff the hole with insulation and hang a picture, deer mount, bear rug, large mounted fish(if you want to psych out your aquarium guests) over it.

Permanent -look for matching tiles but if there are none left over - good luck.

Probably best to use a temporary solution that would be easily reversible in the event a stove is something you decide to use in that space later on.

Are you tossing that beautiful old Garrison?

I'd keep both.....

My mancave:

Plans previous to build:

Status
Not open for further replies.